Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Puppies used to smuggle heroin

Beans

Puppies used to smuggle heroin

Ten puppies with bags of liquid heroin surgically implanted into their bellies were seized in a drug bust in Medellin, Colombia, said authorities.

"They utilized a wide range of smuggling, the most repulsive of which was the use of puppies," said John P. Gilbride, head of the DEA's New York office.

"There have been cases of animal cruelty that have led to the discovery of drug labs, but not to the extent of an animal being used to carry drugs, especially a puppy," said ASPCA spokeswoman Jo Sullivan.

Investigators believe that the dogs were used to smuggle heroin into New York on commercial flights. The drugs were then to be distributed and sold along the East Coast.

"Ten puppies, including Labrador retrievers, were rescued during a 2005 raid on a farm in Colombia," said the United States Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) on Wednesday. The Agency also announced that they had made more than 30 arrests.

Authorities believe that a veterinarian, Andres Lopez Elorez (who is also believed to be a fugitive in Spain), opened the bellies of at least six of the ten puppies, inserted 3 - 3KG bags of liquid heroin, and then stitched them back up. Three puppies had died due to infections after the drugs were removed. A total of 14 bags, which were found using ultrasound, were recovered in six puppies.

"The surviving dogs are still alive and well, we're told," said Gilbride. "I think it's outrageous and heinous that they'd use small, innocent puppies in this way. This investigation identified the individuals who were responsible for overseeing and smuggling millions of dollars worth of heroin from Colombia to the East Coast."

The investigation revealed that the smugglers, whose ring was based in Medellin, not only used people and puppies to conceal their drugs, but also body creams, aerosol cans, and the linings of purses and luggage.

A tipster is said to have led authorities to the puppies.

It is not known how many puppies were actually used in the smuggling operation.

Three dogs were adopted by Colombian police. At least one of those puppies will be trained to sniff for drugs.

About 24 kilograms of heroin was seized in recent raids in Colombia which have resulted in more than 20 arrests and another 10 in custody in New York. A total of at least 24 kilograms have been siezed in these raids.
    http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Puppies_...smuggle_heroin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Puppies used to smuggle heroin

Poor puppies. What else can I say?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I took a quick glance at the title of this topic and read "Puppies used heroin" o.O Then I realised there were a couple more words there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I love this culture.

Human drug mules are sometimes compelled to carry large quantities of heroin or cocaine inside their own bodies--and nobody raises a fuss about it.

Suddenly, PUPPIES are shown with heroin in their bellies, and there's a hue and cry-- ""I think it's outrageous and heinous that they'd use small, innocent puppies in this way".

I guess it is true. In the developed world, one dog's life is worth that of several human beings' lives eslewhere.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Yeah i just read that on the bbc news website. All i have to say is what is this world coming to and how screwed up is the society of this world getting these days.
    My Rig:
    AMD Athlon 64 3700 San Deigo skt 939 | Asus A8N-E NForce 4 Motherboard | 1Gb Twin-X Dual Channel Corsair DDR400 | 200Gb seagate barracuda hdd 8mb cache | Geforce MSI 6800GS 256mb | 19" Samsung TFT 8ms 1280x1024 | Antec Dual Rail 450W PSU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I agree with Brunellus. Also, this is just one of the many side-effects of prohibition (which doesn't work anyway).

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Brunellus
    I love this culture.

Human drug mules are sometimes compelled to carry large quantities of heroin or cocaine inside their own bodies--and nobody raises a fuss about it.

Suddenly, PUPPIES are shown with heroin in their bellies, and there's a hue and cry-- ""I think it's outrageous and heinous that they'd use small, innocent puppies in this way".

I guess it is true. In the developed world, one dog's life is worth that of several human beings' lives eslewhere.
    I think the point is that human drug mules are more or less voluntary (not to mention there is no surgery involved). Puppies on the other hand were mutilated for no reason so to speak. It's all ****ed up anyways, government not letting you use drugs? F that!
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

I love this culture.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

better cute little puppies than poor, desperate human beings...

(not that i condone any kind of drug trafficking)...

edit...just noticed Brunellus' post...i cosign...

it's amazing/frightening how much some folks in the "first world" value they pets, compared to other (especially black and brown) human beings...

What's wrong with this picture?

A truckload of evacuees arrives at the Metairie evacuation center outside New Orleans

Over 150 dogs and other animals were evacuated from an animal hospital after their owners had left town without them
    Last edited by raggamuffin; February 3rd, 2006 at 01:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I love this culture.

I must say that puppies have no choice......we all have been through ALOT being human beings and all............we make good choices and bad choices........some hurt us some don't..........Animals don't have choices, they have INSTINCT, and that instinct has also been restricted and mutated (not literally) through domestication.......let's face it as homo sapiens we do stupid Sh*t and it makes some folks a whole lot less sensitive.
    Nvidia Drivers ------Automatix
    Registered Linux user #405173

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast