Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does your daughter use Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Does your daughter use Linux?

Just wondering, how many of you who are parents have Linux only on your own machine but not on the family machine? Why?

One of the Kubuntu devs mentioned that when he got a netbook with XP on it and booted the XP to test the hardware before putting Kubuntu Netbook Edition on, his 6 year old daughter saw it over his shoulder and asked "what's that?" He realized that she'd never seen XP before. At home, all of the computers have KDE. At school, they all have OSX.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Does your daughter use Linux?

Well, I can tell you,

my daughter is only 6 months old and hopefully an Ubuntu fan in a growing stage!
    My son is almost 6 years old, and running Ubuntu 9.04 on his desktop.

The woman of the house can't get used on Ubuntu, therefor she is running Mircosoft XP.
    I am thinking of swapping to Ubuntu Studio this for my Renoise Ardour ZynAddSubFX Hydogen hobby...

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs down Re: Does your daughter use Linux?

My 11-year-old daughter actually asked for Linux. I had an old server that I was trying to turn into a desktop machine for them so they would stop hogging my wife's computer, and Windows XP continually locked up.

So she actually asked me, "Daddy, can we put Ubuntu on there?" We did, but the problem was that you can't replace the graphics card on the server and Flash was just too slow for their web games with business graphics (H/W optimization was "faked" in the video driver).

So, they got fed up with Ubuntu and started preferring Mom's fast new machine again.

Finally, we decided to buy out my wife's old computer on lease and just set that back up for her. I took the brand new fast computer and put Windows 7 on it and it screams. I am now using the Ubuntu server to replace my old Ubuntu server that was an old desktop computer. I pretty much only use it for backups and just to play with Linux occasionally or if I need some Linux command-line tools to hook a drive to or something.

Ubuntu was an attractive option as opposed to Vista, but Windows 7 makes it rather pointless for me (I am an MSDN subscriber). I put Windows 7 on my netbook and upgraded my server to Windows Server 2008 R2. My wife is still using XP because she has so many things saved on it, it would be a pain to change her over (she didn't even like the new machine because of that).

Beans
    Distro

For me it's the other way around! I'm the daughter who uses Ubuntu and trying to get her parents to use it, lol. My mom likes it (we're using the remix I started on for her computer), but Daddy is stuck on Vista.

Amy
    Dance Class: No Place for Wimps!
    Non-Geeky Girls Love Linux Too!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

We don't have a family computer. The desktop is mine with Hardy. My Wife has a laptop with Vista soon to be upgraded with Window 7. My daughter's system died when we upgraded it to Jaunty and is unrecoverable until I learn how to network boot a system. She does get to use Macs at her new school though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

3 daughters who all dual boot Ubuntu.

Two of them spend most time in Ubuntu... The Middle One (Kelly) is heavy into art and spends most time in XP using Artrage with her Wacom tablet...

That reminds me.. She asked me to get her tablet working again in Ubuntu. Upgrade borked it.

Beans
    Distro

My Five year old has TinkBuntu (Custom Tinkerbell Edition I set up for her) on her XPS. The wife is on XP on her netbook but Jaunty on her desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Our server is Ubuntu, my desktop is Ubuntu, my wife's desktop is Ubuntu, the laptop dual-boots with XP & Ubuntu, my 25 year old daughter uses Ubuntu, and my 22 year old son uses XP. We all play WoW but my son plays a lot of heavier games so he doesn't want Linux on his machine. My daughter has asked me occasionally (like when Spore came out) about converting her machine to XP and every time I tell her that she'll have to buy a legal copy before I install it for her and then it is her problem to maintain. Funny that she has changed yet.
    Windows is easier than Linux, just like crapping your pants is easier than going to the bathroom. DR_K13

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bit View Post
    For me it's the other way around! I'm the daughter who uses Ubuntu and trying to get her parents to use it, lol. My mom likes it (we're using the remix I started on for her computer), but Daddy is stuck on Vista.

Amy
    That's my position, but I'm grown and out of the house now, so I don't count me as the daughter using Ubuntu I was thinking of munchkins

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

YES!!

I have two daughters, both of whom use Linux. One is a senior in college, who has a dual-boot system, but never boots Windows. The other is a junior in high school whose eeepc is Linux-only. Both have been Linux users for at least two years.

My son, however, uses a Mac (OSX).

Oh well...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast