Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Masonux: LXDE-based Ubuntu spinoff that sticks to its roots

Beans

Re: Masonux: LXDE-based Ubuntu spinoff that sticks to its roots

I haven't tried this to be honset... but for the most part the core ubuntu spinnoffs like Kubuntu and Lubuntu are just Ubuntu with a different default DE. They don't really spend a lot of time (at least from my experience) integrating the new DEs with ubuntu which is why kubuntu is a lot bulkier than a Kde install on something like Arch. Just using it as an example, but if you've ever tried Kubuntu and then used a native Kde distro the difference is pretty clear.

I'm guessing that Masonux is simply a better integration of Lxde into Ubuntu than Lubuntu is.

Beans

Thanks for this thread and what looks a very handy distro . .
    I have a dozen old P2 machines . .maybe i'll be able to upgrade these and fix 'em up with Masonux( or something like it ) for use at a local project .

I'm an EEE PC user planning an imminent move to Ubuntu Lucid . .in the hope of performance improvements and the benefit of tying in to a fresh LTS release. I'm hoping to be able to upgrade my machine rather than do a fresh install
    Ii've put some work into my existing install based on 9.10 karmic nbr2 and am very happy with the results - full credit and thanks to all . .

First screenshots - more soon - of my work in progress at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoI4wRVVjBs

I'm still comparitively new to Linux so any observations and guidance will be much appreciated ..

I have already downloaded but not yet tried the LXDE netbook remix . .

am i right in thinking that LXDE is a complete replacement for the gnome desktop ?
    what would i need to do to be able to choose to launch LXDE in place of gnome at the login?
    how feasible would it be to implement something similar to my present setup in LXDE or other lightweight WMs?

Thanks and Regards to all . .
    onwards and upwards - per ardua ad astral avenues . . .
    way up on . . ,
    http://ip.icefactory.heliohost.org
    /http://icefactory.heliohost.org/

Beans

Yes, LXDE is a replacement for Gnome. If you're using gdm there should be a choice at the login screen called "sessions", you simply have to choose LXDE. I'm not too LXDE savvy but as long as you can enable compositing you should be able to get the same look.

Beans

Announcement relating to Masonux 10.04:

I'm still a college student, for those unaware. One more week of lecture, and then Finals week. Once that is done, my little brother whom I haven't seen in a while is coming out to visit. Once that is done, summer school starts for me... Only taking one class, though.

My Agenda:
    -Re-evaluate Lubuntu and the Linux Mint LXDE spin, and see if Masonux still needs to even exist. Compare hard drive, ram, and CPU usage on identical virtual machines.
    -If it looks to me like Masonux still needs to exist, I'll get to work in earnest as my schedule allows.

If anyone wants to look at the notes from the 9.10 cut and start experimenting with 10.04, please let me know about any quirks you discover and if you were able to find workarounds.

am i right in thinking that LXDE is a complete replacement for the gnome desktop ?
    it's 'complete' in that it can replace gnome, yes.

it is not 'complete' in the sense that it comes with alternatives to every single graphical tool that gnome has - for certain tasks, you will either need to learn the command-line way of doing it, or pick a graphical application to install yourself. gnome comes with a cd/dvd burner, for example, but lxde assumes you are able to find your own and install that one.

the 'price' for this is integration. to continue with the example above, there are zillions of choices for cd/dvd burner apps... but, since none are integrated with lxde, you won't be able to find an iso and [ right click -> burn to cd ] the way you can with gnome. instead, you start the cd/dvd burning app you've selected, and burn from there.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans

Project Ending:
    June 18, 2010

The niche once filled by Masonux is no longer a niche, and thus I've decided that Masonux no longer has a need to continue. It's been fun folks, and thank you for your support.

Check out Lubuntu, LXDE Mint, Remastersys LXDE Lite, and Peppermint for some other distros that use LXDE.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Quote Originally Posted by earthpigg View Post
    Project Ending:
    June 18, 2010

The niche once filled by Masonux is no longer a niche, and thus I've decided that Masonux no longer has a need to continue. It's been fun folks, and thank you for your support.

Check out Lubuntu, LXDE Mint, Remastersys LXDE Lite, and Peppermint for some other distros that use LXDE.
    Sorry to hear that. Thanks for all your hard work.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

This works great on my Fujitsu Lifebook S6210. I changed from the Jaunty repositories to Lucid and have to be careful to not synaptic out any important packages, but it still runs very nice. I am currently trying to find a VM solution to work on it. I tried kvm/qemu but that removes too many needed packages and I had to rely on my Clonezilla image to get back to where I was. Now I have this problem, trying to install VirtuaBox:

Code:
    progave@Lifebook-S6210:~/Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i virtualbox*
    (Reading database ... 60151 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace virtualbox-4.1 4.1.12-77245~Ubuntu~lucid (using virtualbox-4.1_4.1.12-77245~Ubuntu~lucid_i386.deb) ...
     * Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules                                    [ OK ] 
    Unpacking replacement virtualbox-4.1 ...
    Setting up virtualbox-4.1 (4.1.12-77245~Ubuntu~lucid) ...
    addgroup: The group `vboxusers' already exists as a system group. Exiting.
     * Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules                                    [ OK ] 
     * Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules                       [ OK ] 
     * Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS                  
     * Failed, trying without DKMS
     * Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules                                        
     * Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong

Processing triggers for shared-mime-info ...
    progave@Lifebook-S6210:~/Downloads$ cat /var/log/vbox-install.log
    /usr/share/virtualbox/src/vboxhost/vboxdrv/build_in_tmp: 65: make: not found
    progave@Lifebook-S6210:~/Downloads$ sudo deb virtualbox*
    sudo: deb: command not found
    progave@Lifebook-S6210:~/Downloads$

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by earthpigg View Post
    Project Ending:
    June 18, 2010

Project has ended. - THREAD closed.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920