Thread: Installing Ubuntu fails

Beans

Installing Ubuntu fails

Hi!
    Im trying to install Ubuntu for the first time, and I'm doing it on an external hard drive (FAT32).
    I tried with versions 9.04 and 8.04. On version 9.04 the installation remains in "Creating virtual drives" for hours, until I cancel it.
    On version 8.04 it stops a bit on that step and then suddenly finishes and says that I need to reboot, but when I do, its impossible to start Ubuntu - the computer either restarts or remains black until I turn it off.

Im running Windows XP and the installation is to be done through a ISO file.

I'd appreciate all the help you can provide. Thank you a lot!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Installing Ubuntu fails

Quote Originally Posted by Sosippus View Post
    Hi!
    Im trying to install Ubuntu for the first time, and I'm doing it on an external hard drive (FAT32).
    I tried with versions 9.04 and 8.04. On version 9.04 the installation remains in "Creating virtual drives" for hours,

Im running Windows XP and the installation is to be done through a ISO file.

I'd appreciate all the help you can provide. Thank you a lot!
    Are you doing a wubi-install (ubuntu inside windows .... or ubuntu as a windows file)?

The iso file, did you burn the image and check the disc and md5?
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raymondhenson View Post
    Are you doing a wubi-install (ubuntu inside windows .... or ubuntu as a windows file)?

The iso file, did you burn the image and check the disc and md5?
    I'm not sure but I think it's wubi (since the installer is called wubi). I didn't burn the image, I was installing it through Alcohol 120 because someone told me it was possible to do it without actually burning the cd.

do you have any ideas?

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Sure burn it onto a cd and install it that way. Never heard of installing directly from alcohol. You're friend could be right, but it seems your not having much luck there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    Sure burn it onto a cd and install it that way. Never heard of installing directly from alcohol. You're friend could be right, but it seems your not having much luck there.
    Okies, I'll do that. Thanks for the tip
    I'll report back when its done

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How much RAM on the PC?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    How much RAM on the PC?
    1Gb i think

Beans

New error:

now I get "unable to access the cd" when it is creating the image, from the cd. Of course there's nothing accessing the cd I'm using to install Ubuntu, but still doesn't work...