Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost on installing java

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Lost on installing java

I was wondering how I install java from the site. I'm pretty new, and I've read around a bit and figured out I need alien, which I have to convert the red hat format.
    But after that I get lost on the rpm.bin file that I never seem to find. Any advice would be extremely helpful, also I'm running 9.04 jaunty jackalope.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Lost on installing java

Don't install Java from the Sun website, install it from the repositories.

Go to Synaptic Package Manager and install the "sun-java6-jre", "sun-java6-bin" and "sun-java6-plugin" packages. Easy.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the info, but my java still doesn't seem to work with chat applets. :/

Beans
    Hidden!

Setting up java is drop dead easy from the repo's but I fear your attempts to convert a red hat package into a .deb and installing that way may have caused some trouble..

Anyway, what does this link give you ?

http://www.javatester.org/

(click the test button on top).

And what happens when you type in a console:

Code:
    java -version

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hello,

you can find a bit more information about java installation and configuration her https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JavaInstallation
    and here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

best regards

chf

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    Setting up java is drop dead easy from the repo's but I fear your attempts to convert a red hat package into a .deb and installing that way may have caused some trouble..

Anyway, what does this link give you ?

http://www.javatester.org/

(click the test button on top).

And what happens when you type in a console:

Code:
    java -version
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_14-b08)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode)

Beans

Is that also what javatester.org shows for your java plugin version?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Don't install Java from the Sun website, install it from the repositories.

Go to Synaptic Package Manager and install the "sun-java6-jre", "sun-java6-bin" and "sun-java6-plugin" packages. Easy.
    Thank you!
    I was trying to install OmegaT and could not figure out which was the best way to load java.
    Luckily I found this thread.
    One question though : is it possible to launch OmegaT (or any installed software) by double clicking on an icon instead of right clicking on the relevant .jar file + selecting "open with java run time"... ? A bit like in windows...

Another remark about translations (how to report typos in other languages ?)
    I am using the Turkish version and I noticed minor typos here and there...
    Last edited by dira; October 1st, 2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Typos + forgotten words

One question though : is it possible to launch OmegaT (or any installed software) by double clicking on an icon instead of right clicking on the relevant .jar file + selecting "open with java run time"... ? A bit like in windows...
    With Ubuntu, if it is a .deb, then usually you will be able to click on it to install it.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dira View Post
    You can create a launcher on the desktop by right-clicking any blank space, select Create launcher then give it a name and the command "java my_app.jar" where my_app is the name of your java archive file. You can add the same command to a menu from System->Preferences->Main menu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast