Thread: What's blocking pings?

Beans

What's blocking pings?

Hi

I run a very well-functioning server that I cannot ping. I was curious to see why the pings were blocked after some users reported being unable to even reach the webserver.

So I dug around and disabled ufw and selinux, and even messed with iptable rules, and nothing. I still cannot reach the server with icmp.

So what gives? Do I need to reboot the server for the new rules to take effect? Am I missing some default setting or installation?

It's Ubuntu 9.04 32-bit.

Thanks,
    Pierre

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thumbs down Re: What's blocking pings?

If your server is pesky about pings try reaching it with this nmap command.
    Code:
    nmap -v -A -PN  ip_address

To apply changes to your iptable
    Code:
    sudo iptables-save > /etc/iptables.rules
    You may then change your iptables configuration by writing or editing your saved rules. To test them when you are done.
    Code:
    sudo iptables-apply < /etc/iptables.new_rule_set
    To restore your settings when rebooting, edit /etc/rc.local and add this command anywhere above the line "exit 0"
    Code:
    iptables-restore < /etc/iptables.rules

One idea is
    1.you could save your iptables (using the command above)

2.Flush them

Code:
    iptables -F
    3.try to ping the server while the iptables are flushed. If your ping is successful then you know it is a problem with the iptable rules. If you cant ping then the problem lies elsewhere.

4.don't forget to iptables-restore to keep out the "Script Kiddies"

If it is your tables post the results of
    Code:
    iptables -L
    -
    -
    Last edited by duanedesign; August 23rd, 2009 at 03:48 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What's blocking pings?

Other than checking iptables settings, the best thing I can think of at the moment is to check your router's firewall settings and that ports are being forwarded properly.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Thanks for the help.

I flushed the rules, ping'ed and all packets were still lost. I can ping localhost but can't ping the server directly from itself (i.e. SSH in and ping server.com).

nmap finds only ports 22 and 80 open, so no surprises there.

I'm starting to think it's my host. I cannot ping any other site I know that's hosted with them, but I can reach all the ones I tried normally in a web browser.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

it's possible the tcp/ip stack in the kernel is set to ignore pings, as can be seen in the value of /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all

background: http://ipsysctl-tutorial.frozentux.n...variables.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by koenn View Post
    it's possible the tcp/ip stack in the kernel is set to ignore pings, as can be seen in the value of /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all
    Hi koenn

The value in that file is set to zero, which I assume means "don't ignore" and should let pings through.

As a side question: would changing this value (and otehr kernel settings) require rebooting?

Cheers,
    Pierre

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes, 0 means the feature is turned of.
    It's not really a file, it's a part of the kernel in RAM, represented as a file so you can manipulatate it with file tools. Because it's "live" you don't need to reboot when you change it.

you can set it to 1 with
    Code:
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all
    maybe give it a try, just in case 0 means 'true' and therefore 'ignore pings'

I once set a machine to not allow ping by running Bastille, a server hardening script. Maybe if you look through it, you'll find a yet another way to block pings, and you can check if your server has the corresponding setting somewhere

Beans

Thanks for the info. Setting it to 1 didn't fix it.

I know I don't have Bastille installed. I've looked at each process (as reported by htop) to see what it is and what it is doing. Nothing is running apart from the server, the PHP FCGI processes, and a few admin things like syslogd and DHCP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I didn't mean you were running bastille. it's not even something you have running. You run it once, and it lets you set a number of settings, such as umask, tcpwrappers, file permissions on critical files, ... If I remember well, it also asks if you want to reply to pings.

If you figure out how bastille turns of 'reply to ping', you can look there and see if your server has the same setting, whether it was set there by bastille, by hand, by another application, by cosmic rays, by squirrels, ...

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

pierrefar, was this all working before and just suddenly stopped?