Thread: Unable to Access Users After Upgrade

Beans

Unable to Access Users After Upgrade

Upgraded to 64 bit from 32 bit, see this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...+bit+to+64+bit. Left the home partition alone and retained both data and settings. But there are three users on the computer and I can only access one user, me. if we try to log on one of the other users we get the mesage user doesn't exist, if I try and recreate one of the other users I get the message that the user exists. So how can I get the logon for the other two working? Will I have to delete these users and start again? If so how?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Unable to Access Users After Upgrade

I'm having simular problems. It get a bit complicated. Rather than deleting the users and losing all data associated with them, I plan on moving them to home-bu. I hope to then recreate those users (same names, passwords). Then I plan to copy the users from home-bu back to home (overwriting the users in home). Not done yet. I will then probably have to then reclain ownership of thase accounts in home to permit them to be used. To do that I would have to boot on the recovery mode and drop to a root prompt. At that point I should be able to reclaim each user in turn by entering the following commands:

chown -R user:user /home/user
    chmod 644 /home/user/.dmcr
    chmod 644 /home/user/.ICEauthority

Again, do above for each user ID. Then I will exit and continue booting. Hopefully then each user will boot properly. It is your choice, following the principal of conservation of agony, whether to just start each user with a blank slate or to try to reclaim their user accounts. To give credit, I borrowed the above routein from http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

Good luck to both of us!
    12.10 Quantal w/grub2/Mint13 installed on raid0, Gigabyte AMD MB, AMD 64x4 CPUs at 3.2GHz, 16 GB ram, HD7770 ATI video, dual boot win7 on 64gb ssd and win8 on 1Tb SATA raid. 13.04 installed on raid0 and ssd

Beans

ronparent as the folders on mine are empty it looks like the data and settings have gone, so I am now looking at deleting the folders, creating new ones and restoring data from back up. though separate home partitions sounds like a good idea, I might do it for one of them

Beans

I have solved this by starting a sesion as root and deleting the folders. I have now created new users and restored data from back up.

Beans
    Distro

I am happy to report that I accomplished my task exactly as I had outlined and restored all user environments as planned. I do agree that sometimes you are better off starting with a new slate. It is all about minimizing your headaches and balancing the time spent against what you hope to recover. I guess it is a happy outcome for both our cases.

Yes, setting up a separate /home partition can make it easier to maintain multi-user environments during upgrades.
    12.10 Quantal w/grub2/Mint13 installed on raid0, Gigabyte AMD MB, AMD 64x4 CPUs at 3.2GHz, 16 GB ram, HD7770 ATI video, dual boot win7 on 64gb ssd and win8 on 1Tb SATA raid. 13.04 installed on raid0 and ssd

Beans

ronparent looks like we are both sorted now. You will have to explain to me some time how you set up a second home partition, I mentioned it on here and it got a less than enthusiastic reception.

Beans
    Distro

dave r: That was the reference I gave you previously - http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome explains it fully.

It has worked out good for me - simplifys upgrades somewhat. Give a yell if it gives you any problems.