Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP not recognized by Ubuntu Installer

Beans

Windows XP not recognized by Ubuntu Installer

I'm attempting to load Ubuntu 9.04 onto my new Lenovo SL400, with Factory settings. I have Windows XP Pro installed onto my Preloaded (C: ) drive, and want to partition this drive so I can have both Ubuntu and XP installed on my computer. When running the Ubuntu installer off the CD, I am told that there is no operating system detected, and have only two options: Install Ubuntu on all 250G of my hard drive, or perform a manual partition. I've tried cleaning up Windows XP, running many disk defragmentations, but the Ubuntu installer still won't recognize that I've got XP already installed.
    I've looked at all the similar threads I can find, and tried some of the suggested solutions, including:
    - Going to GParted and trying to create a new partition, but I'm told I have one "unallocated" partition (250G) and creating a new partition will erase everything I have on the entire disk (dev/sda) (So I didn't do that).
    - I also ran the sudo fdisk -l command, and got back

/dev/sda1 * 1 29572 237537058 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2 29573 30402 6659517 12 Compaq diagnostics

I'm new to Ubuntu, and would really like to run it as my main OS, but XP is also rather necessary for a number of other functions.

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Windows XP not recognized by Ubuntu Installer

ok have you tried using disk management to create a seperate partition for ubuntu off of your c drive?
    Ubuntu Christian Edition chat on irc at server: OFTC/channel: #ubuntuCE
    BootInfoScript DualBooting
    Grub Grub2 MBR/GRUB
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra and ghulselmans

Beans

I've been trying to, however Window's Disk Management software isn't giving me the option to partition the C: drive. If it helps, the application shows this:

Volume.................Layout...............Type.. ...........File System.................Status
    Preload (C: )........ Partition ............Basic ............NTFS .................Healthy (System)
    SERVICEV001...... Partition............ Basic............ FAT32 ............Healthy (EISA Configuration)

Capacity ......Free Space ..........% Free....... Fault Tolerance....... Overhead
    226.53 GB..... 213.75 GB .........94%............... No.......................... 0%
    6.33 GB .........275 MB ..............4% ................No.......................... 0%
    Last edited by Miles B; August 20th, 2009 at 03:11 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

and you say booting to the livecd and using gparted does nothing?! try booting to the cd again and this time go to add/remove option under applications tab...then type in NTFS and make sure that the NTFS configuration tool is installed...if not do it and then try to re-partition again...post results!!
    Ubuntu Christian Edition chat on irc at server: OFTC/channel: #ubuntuCE
    BootInfoScript DualBooting
    Grub Grub2 MBR/GRUB
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra and ghulselmans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

gparted live CD Use the gparted Live CD to partition the windows drive. Shrink XP's partition then create 2 partitions from the unallocated space- one for ubuntu (minimum 20 GB, I suggest as much as you can spare) and one partition for swap which if you want to use suspend/hibernate should be the same size as your installed RAM. Set Ubuntu's partition as ext 3 or ext 4 and the swap as linux-swap. When you install Ubuntu from Ubuntu Live CD choose manual option.

Or you can just create unallocated space by shrinking XP's partition and leaving it as unallocated space. When you install Ubuntu you should get the option of "use largest continuous free space". Choose that option.

You will have to download the iso of gparted Live Cd and burn as an image to CD or make a bootable USB. Boot from that and set up your partitions.

If you need more help post back here.

If all else fails try the alternate text based installer
    Last edited by presence1960; August 20th, 2009 at 03:49 AM.
    Multi-boot: Arch linux, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 & Windows 8

Beans

Tried that, but I'm still getting the "This computer has no operating systems on it." message in step 4 of 7 (Prepare disk space) of the install.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Miles B View Post
    Tried that, but I'm still getting the "This computer has no operating systems on it." message in step 4 of 7 (Prepare disk space) of the install.
    Are there any mounted media when you installed (except for the liveCD in the CD drive)? i.e. a external HD attached or a flash drive attached, etc. If so, do a clean unmount/eject of said media and then boot into the ubuntu liveCD to try to install again.
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Beans

Nope, my laptop is free of any mounted media, and still won't work. I tried using the GParted Live CD I burnt, but it won't load on startup, and I can't even get the Boot from CD option. I burnt the ISO file onto a CD-RW, if that makes any difference. Would the text based installer work where the CD isn't? I'm assuming I'd still have the partitioning problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I'm guessing that both the GParted LiveCD and the Ubuntu installer CD's were burned at ludicrous speed and they're no good...

EDIT: Just noticed the last comment. Yeah, it's been said often that you should not burn to CD-RW. Use good-quality CD-R, burn them slowly. 8X is probably safe on a modern PC. Go slower than that on an older PC. Even if the CPU is capable, the optical drive may not be up to the task.
    Last edited by Bartender; August 20th, 2009 at 05:30 PM.

Beans

The Ubuntu installer CD I got in the mail, so there shouldn't be a problem with how it was burnt. I tried burning the GParted LiveCD to a CD-R, slowly, but when it's in my CD drive, I just get a black screen with a flashing white line on startup.

Edit:

I've also tried a number of free partitioning programs, both bootable and not, and none of them seem to work. Apparently I can't resize my C: drive from a program which runs on that drive, and I also can't boot a partitioning program (as my computer freezes). My next course of action is probably going to be to reinstall XP, and partition my hard drives then, and after XP is reinstalled, install Ubuntu on the free space. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Miles B; August 20th, 2009 at 07:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast