Thread: I'm giving up on Ubuntu if I can't burn a data CD

Beans

I'm giving up on Ubuntu if I can't burn a data CD

I've tried Brasero, K3b, GnomeBaker, and Nero Linux; and none of the data CDs I burn will play on my stereos. I am trying to burn a data CD and not an audio CD because a data CD can hold more songs. I have been using windows for years and have never had a problem with data CDs. Please help or its back to Windows for me!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: I'm giving up on Ubuntu if I can't burn a data CD

Are you sure that your stereo can play data cd? I thought most could only play audio cd's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'm assuming you're burning a data CD of MP3 files. You have to make sure your stereo supports MP3 or whatever format you are using.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think that's hardly a reason to go back to ******* and all it's helplessness and frustrations. In either case, all you're trying to do is burn the data to the disk so have you tried just using nautilus? If you put a blank CD into your drive, you should see it show up on your desktop (alternately you can access it through "places". From there you can just drop your files onto the icon or double click and dump them in there. Then click "write to disk" and choose your burn speed. Banana-tip#371: slower is usually better since the laser has more time to burn into the write surface.
    I hear; I forget. I see; I remember. I do; I understand. -Chinese proverb

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

You cannot select data cd, it won't play in a cd player. It has to be a audio.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Try burning using the terminal. First collect all your songs in a directory say 'songs' by copy and paste.
    then make an iso of that directory by typing following command in the terminal:

PHP Code:
    $  mkisofs ---o songs.iso ~/path/to/songs 
    Then burn the iso to a CD using Terminal by using following command

PHP Code:
    $  cdrecord dev=/dev/scd1 speed=0 driveropts=burnfree --data path/to/songs.iso 
    here 'scd1' may be different for you. Please check your drive number in /dev directory and use that.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by sumeshgupta; August 20th, 2009 at 02:25 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Why not just use Brasero Disk Burner? It burns audio CD's and Data CD's for me with no problems. It's free, there's a media guide on here somewhere that details where to get a whole bunch of good programs and software for multimedia...in fact, here it is: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683 .

Oh, and is it possible that it needs to be FINALIZED as an audio cd, which won't take place if you use Data mode? I would think data mode would only allow you to view the files on a computer (like opening a folder) as opposed to playing them directly from the CD. Audio quality is better as an audio CD setup.
    Team Ignition Kernel Developer | Firestorm ROM Thunderbolt Manager
    linux-ideapad developer/maintainer for Arch Linux/Ubuntu Linux
    NT-Sparkkernel Developer for the Nook Tablet