Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 179

Thread: Bad news. id software really is abandoning Linux.

  1. #121

    Re: Bad news. id software really is abandoning Linux.

    Quote Originally Posted by suzaku View Post
    Face it: as it is, there is no money to be made with commercial games on Linux. Just because Linux is free, you can't ignore basic economics.

    Maybe you want to recall this (or not):

    http://braid-game.com/news/?p=364

    The Mac port was done. The Linux port wasn't. Go figure!
    I'm an indie game developer myself, and honestly I don't understand why mid- and small game developers don't make their games run on Linux. I can tell you there *is* money to be made on Linux as much as on Windows and Mac, but I speak as a small indie game developer, and not as a hardcore AAA game dev.

    I create my games in Linux because that's what I like, and I don't port my games, they just run on the other platforms. If you choose the right tools (pygame in my case), creating multiplatform games takes no extra effort whatsoever.
    I currently don't have the resources to do high quality 3D games, but if I would, I would choose a platform independent lib like Ogre3D for example, which would also provide me with effortless multiplatform support. Supporting Linux is not that hard if use the right libraries and tools, but most game developers don't seem to know this.

    I hate to say it here, but thanks to the fact that the mayor game studios are ignoring Linux and Mac OS X users, small developers like myself have the opportunity to get noticed.

    Commercial game support for Linux will start with indie game developers, because of the opportunities they currently have. And hopefully for all those hardcore AAA Linux gamers, it will expand to AAA games. But I don't see that happening overnight.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    9

    Arrow Re: Bad news. id software really is abandoning Linux.

    My 2c: I think that a Linux port in parallel with the Windows version would create some minor marketing/image problems, and that might be the reason why Carmack talks this way right now.

    Maybe they are going to make one, like always, and it will really take small time to their team, but making one now or even talking about the possibility now would damage the sells (at least second the producers), so Amen no Linux port (right now).

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    69

    Re: Bad news. id software really is abandoning Linux.

    Quote Originally Posted by legolas558 View Post
    My 2c: I think that a Linux port in parallel with the Windows version would create some minor marketing/image problems, and that might be the reason why Carmack talks this way right now.

    Maybe they are going to make one, like always, and it will really take small time to their team, but making one now or even talking about the possibility now would damage the sells (at least second the producers), so Amen no Linux port (right now).
    I think Carmack just does not give a rat's **** about Linux anymore.

    Really hope what you are saying is the case, but I have my doubts from
    the two emails I sent him recently.

    He seems hostile towards Linux now. Maybe he is just not the enthusiast he used to be.
    I think Zenimax/EA are preventing the Linux ports as said earlier.

    TTimo is employed at id for all things Mac and Linux related.
    Something is very fishy here indeed.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Malvern, UK
    Beans
    246
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Bad news. id software really is abandoning Linux.

    He never came across as all that enthusiastic about Linux, more the free development tools.

    And, frankly, it's not his decision anyway anymore. That's up to people like Todd Howard now.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Beans
    42
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Bad news. id software really is abandoning Linux.

    Quote Originally Posted by justNiz View Post
    Carmack even says that getting it going on nVidia binary drivers might not be too bad. It sounds like getting it to run on ATI's Linux drivers is really the gating issue, so he's scrapping the whole idea just because of that.

    I really wish he would consider releasing an nVidia-only version rather than none at all. That would even ulitmately help ATi owners in that it would be yet another wakeup call to ATi that they need to take Linux more seriously.

    Perhaps a serious blockbuster that only nVidia owners can run would embarass ATi enough to finally get them to invest some real effort in good Linux drivers.
    At the rate that AMD/ATi appears to be losing business among their once-loyal base of PC enthusiasts, something tells me that fretting over the assured compatibility of their hardware won't be an issue for much longer.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Beans
    123

    Re: Bad news. id software really is abandoning Linux.

    Quote Originally Posted by embiggened.badger View Post
    At the rate that AMD/ATi appears to be losing business among their once-loyal base of PC enthusiasts, something tells me that fretting over the assured compatibility of their hardware won't be an issue for much longer.
    What? Their 2xxx and 3xxx series might have been a bit lackluster, but the 4xxx series, especially the 46xx and 48xx series pissed all over Nvidia's offerings from a great height at the same price.
    The 5xxx series is highly anticipated too and is being released in September, a good 4 months before Nvidia's new cards are out of the door.

    So if you're somehow telling me that:
    1. ATI are losing customers.
    2. ATI/AMD are going to go bankrupt.

    You're wrong.

    Also everyone should remember that we're in a global recession, there just isn't the money to throw at things that might not (read: probably won't be) profitable.

    It seems like a natural decision to make, and in the meantime if we want a game like Doom 4 made we're going to have to make it ourselves.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Beans
    42
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Bad news. id software really is abandoning Linux.

    Wow.

    Calm down.

    I was commenting on a few things I've read recently about ATi, which obviously fly in the face of whatever financial figures you've been looking at, so if I spoke in error without having knowledge of the actual numbers, I apologize.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Beans
    123

    Re: Bad news. id software really is abandoning Linux.

    Quote Originally Posted by embiggened.badger View Post
    Wow.

    Calm down.

    I was commenting on a few things I've read recently about ATi, which obviously fly in the face of whatever financial figures you've been looking at, so if I spoke in error without having knowledge of the actual numbers, I apologize.
    S'alright, I didn't mean to come across as rude.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Beans
    475
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Bad news. id software really is abandoning Linux.

    All the ATI bashing would be relevant if it was still the year 2006. That, and before that year was the only time you didn't want an ATI card for Linux.
    I USE THIS SMILEY because im a rocker!!! \m/ pantara and nerveina roles!

    also yo-yo ma is great.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    4

    Re: Bad news. id software really is abandoning Linux.

    I don't like his decision, but it doesn't surprise me.

    I also used to think that someday Linux would get big enough for the game studios start porting games to it, but it will never happen, most likely.

    Nowadays I tend to go to some Game Developers Conferences, and there you see how the world of game developers is far away from the open source world.

    First of all, open source tools are only used if they imply lowering the project budget, but without putting in danger the studio's IP.

    Then no one cares about portability as such. The idea is to extract as much as possible from a given platform. Others might be supported by outsourcing the porting to outside studios.

    There are also the studios making use of middleware, and their game will support whatever platforms the middleware supports. Ogre3D is nice, and a few games were made with it, but no match for many commercial middleware engines out there.

    Many studios are now shifting development to consoles, because it provides them a stable hardware platform for a period of 5-10 years, while on Mac/PC everyone has a different configuration.

    On Linux the configuration problem is even worse.

    Don't underestimate the technical support costs you get with each supported platform.

    Then you get support from the hardware/software companies, when you have problems targeting their platform. Who is supporting studios targeting Linux?

    Finally don't forget that the Publisher has always the last word on platforms, unless you self publish.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •