Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad news. id software really is abandoning Linux.

qamelian is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Bad news. id software really is abandoning Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by nomnomnom View Post
    Lol...

Stop living in denial....
    That's funny. I'm old enough to remember a time when no one believed that anyone would ever right a decent game for a Microsoft OS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by qamelian View Post
    It's an older laptop with a Radeon Mobility 9000 IGP. The open source driver has worked well out of the box from the first Ubuntu install I did on it and has improved with every release.
    I have a Mobility Radeon X1450 that achieves about 3 fps in every game, but if I remember, the older chipsets (pre R300) are fully accelerated. So I must kind of apologize, I thought you were lying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by u235sentinel View Post
    Fortunately Linux has some really good games for it. Even FOSS games like OpenArena, Nexuiz and Warzone 2100 are top of my list for FOSS games.

Too bad id isn't interested in us. You would think with the netbook market expanding with Linux desktops they would get the clue that we're here to stay, growing and worth developing for.

Otherwise they are going to be like the guys who told me in 1994 that I shouldn't waste my time with Linux as it won't amount to much.

Boy I'm glad I ignored them. I don't know many guys with half the Linux experience I have

They could be missing the boat is what I'm saying by being top of the list. In a few years people will remember and who knows if they will bother to buy id games for linux when everyone else is writing linux games.
    You're talking about desktop pc games ? A few things have to come to be in order for that to happen.
    Off the top of my mind:
    OpenGL catching up to DirectX (game-wise) or DirectX for Linux (not really sure which one is more lilkely...);
    Basic standards between the various linux distributions or just having one dominant desktop distribution, the "there can only be one" approach;
    The killer feature that will tip the balance.

If you want linux to be the de facto gaming OS for the PC you have not only to match what Windows offers but to surpass it.

EDIT: I compared DirectX to OpenGL, but the real equivalent would be Direct3D...
    Last edited by Major_Kong; August 24th, 2009 at 11:15 PM.

qamelian is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nomnomnom View Post
    I have a Mobility Radeon X1450 that achieves about 3 fps in every game, but if I remember, the older chipsets (pre R300) are fully accelerated. So I must kind of apologize, I thought you were lying.
    No problem. Last time I told a lie, I was 6 years old and had tried to convince a bunch of my classmates that I knew where to find a genuine werewolf. The abuse and ridicule that I took on getting caught out stopped me from ever telling another!

For the record, I've been able to play Elder Scrolls: Oblivion in wine on my desktop using an HD2450 card, and the frame-rates are comparable to what I get in Vista and the Win7 RC. That was measured when I was running the 9.2 Catalyst drivers in each OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Please if you would, show me where OpenGL is lacking compared to Direct 3D.
    I'd like to see some actual details instead of just a half-cocked reply.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
    OpenGL 3 didn't deliver. DirectX 9/10/11 did. Microsoft has done a better job. It's that simple.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ectx,2019.html

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by suzaku View Post
    OpenGL 3 didn't deliver. DirectX 9/10/11 did. Microsoft has done a better job. It's that simple.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ectx,2019.html
    I year old article on tomshardware? You must be joking.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
    I year old article on tomshardware? You must be joking.
    Why? Because the article goes against what you want to believe in? IWantToBelieve(TM). Suits you just fine.

People didn't react nicely to OpenGL 3. But you'll probably ignore this, too.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by suzaku View Post
    Why? Because the article goes against what you want to believe in? IWantToBelieve(TM). Suits you just fine.

People didn't react nicely to OpenGL 3. But you'll probably ignore this, too.
    Because the article was on a crap site with next to no details but that people didn't like it.
    Tomshardware saying DX won is about as believable as Paris Hilton's virginity.
    Again you're linking to year old crap. OpenGL has come back into people's good graces quite a bit since then.

I asked for some solid info on the subject not a bunch of garbage threads and news posts.

Remove head from rectum.

Oh and if you want to play the crap link game? Try something more current like OpenGL 3.2: http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boa...&Number=261641
    Last edited by hikaricore; August 25th, 2009 at 07:17 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by carmack

The PC and Mac versions are still OpenGL 2.x.

Quote Originally Posted by carmack
    else would be small. If you are restricted to it only working on the
    closed source drivers, you might as well boot into windows and get the
    fully tested and tuned experience...

John Carmack
    Welp, sorry but
    A) The general complaints about the quality of OpenGL 3 (don't know if you, Carmack, were involved in these or just people in ubuntuforums) really don't apply if you're using an OpenGL 2 codepath anyway.

B) I don't do have a few systems with nvidia video cards, but do not have windows. I will admit to you, my current computers do not probably have a good enough video card to run these newer games anyway. But I will be perfectly clear, I will never buy a copy of Windows again -- I will get a newer computer eventually, but will not run Rage or any other id game on it if it doesn't run under Linux.

I want to point out at this point I've use Linux since 1994, ran Quake 3 on my voodoo2 (with Matrox Mystique 220 for 2D) at LAN parties. Before that I ran all the way back through commander keen, wolfenstein 3d, doom, and even kroz. But I won't pay $100s for an OS just to run games.

Off topic, but I remember freaking out a bunch of windows users at a LAN party by being able to burn a CD *while playing quake*. I didn't see the big deal since it was only a 2x burner, but the windows types were afraid to even move the mouse across their desktops while burning for fear of buffer underruns, even with 1x burners.
    Last edited by hwertz; August 25th, 2009 at 07:45 AM.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast