Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heatsink/fan bolted directly to AM2+ motherboard (plastic hooks are broken)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Heatsink/fan bolted directly to AM2+ motherboard (plastic hooks are broken)

Okay, I have this microATX AM2+ Gigabyte motherboard sitting in a box on my shelf. One of the plastic "hooks" on the AM2+ socket was snapped off, but otherwise it's a perfectly good motherboard.

Recently, I've been giving some thought to the possibility of putting together a new computer and putting some of my spare parts to use, and I was wondering if that motherboard would still be useful.

So, is there a such thing as a heatsink and fan which bolts directly to the motherboard or in some way doesn't need that plastic hook? The newegg descriptions never specify either way, but I know I've seen heatsinks for other sockets which did this.

Thanks,
    -Max.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans

Re: Heatsink/fan bolted directly to AM2+ motherboard (plastic hooks are broken)

Quote Originally Posted by MaxIBoy View Post
    Okay, I have this microATX AM2+ Gigabyte motherboard sitting in a box on my shelf. One of the plastic "hooks" on the AM2+ socket was snapped off, but otherwise it's a perfectly good motherboard.

Recently, I've been giving some thought to the possibility of putting together a new computer and putting some of my spare parts to use, and I was wondering if that motherboard would still be useful.

So, is there a such thing as a heatsink and fan which bolts directly to the motherboard or in some way doesn't need that plastic hook? The newegg descriptions never specify either way, but I know I've seen heatsinks for other sockets which did this.

Thanks,
    -Max.

I'd think you should be able to find a new plastic AM2/2+/3 mount clip, somewhere.

The only motherboards nowadays that use HSF bolting directly to the mainboard are Intel LGA socket boards (775,1366, etc)...I'd advise against drilling holes into your mainboard to make an AM2 board compatible with an LGA-style HSF
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You might be able to use epoxy. Place a 7-lb weght (a typical hold-down value) on the heatsink and cement with a two-part epoxy at all 4 corners. Let it dry for a couple of days.

Presumably the 4 hold-down blobs should be able to take 1.25 lbs of pull each.

Sometimes you can use thin, steel wire and wire down the heatsink in place of the clip. You might have to drill small holes between the plastic frame and the heat sink. Cut the wire short afterward and tape it so it doesn't short anything.

Drilling through the motherboard will probably trash the board, so don't do that.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

I was actually thinking of unbolting the plastic and using those holes for the heatsink, not drilling of course.

Wire seems plausible, I just worry about having a good solid contact with the CPU. Epoxy won't work, I may want to remove the heatsink in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

A few years back Zalman's first graphics card cooler, the ZM17CU used a two-part glue to stick a large and heavy copper heatsink direct to the GPU.
    This glue would probably work a treat so long as your heatsink isn't too big and heavy.
    You can still get the glue.

Beans
    Distro

The CPU would fall out of the socket if any serious weight were put on it. (I don't want to put this in a horizontal desktop case.)
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Zip ties through the holes?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MaxIBoy View Post

Thanks,
    -Max.
    I don't know about your AM2 mobo, but I had issues w/ the idiotic springy clips that came w/ my oe hsf for my intel processor so I bought a trick zalman hsf (socked 775). Their mounting places a plastic bracked on the back side of the mobo w/ metal threads, and another plastic bracket on the top of the mobo. Screws sandwich the mobo between these two bracket, making for a very nice, secure rigid, mounting system. then the hsf combo bolted to their bracket. Very easy install, contrary to many of the newegg descriptions.

Also, the zalman website has some slick little animations detailing the installation of their hsf setups. It's worth a look.

BM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You can find some special two-part zip ties that are used for that type of mounting. Basically it becomes a plastic rivet.

That would work well because you can pull some tension on them to keep the heat sink properly seated.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Ah you gotta hate tha. I did that to my old Socket 7 motherboard, and now the possibility of me making anything out of that is gone :/ I have a few Socket 7 CPUs too, some of the most powerful ones. Oh well :/
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast