Thread: What's the proper way to perform an OEM install?

Beans

What's the proper way to perform an OEM install?

A friend who has a couple dozen old school computers has asked if I'd check them out, make necessary repairs, and install Ubuntu (possibly Xubuntu or something even lighter depending on hardware) and he'll then offer them to middle school and high school students that can't otherwise afford home computers.

I said "sure, I'd be glad to". He said he'll drop them all off sometime this weekend, so I'm preparing.

I've installed Ubuntu, or some derivative thereof, for quite a few people but I've always asked them to specify a username and I then create a ridiculous password and print instructions for changing the password when they begin using the machine.

In this case I'll have no idea what the username will be, and of course I want the new "owner" to become the primary or admin user so they can have the same privileges as if they'd installed themselves. So I've thought about just using "ubuntu" as a username, but I'm unsure how to instruct the new owner to change both the username and password (remember I want them to have all privileges) and I think it would be messy to leave the OEM created username on the machine at all.

So I've been browsing for 'OEM install' or 'manufacturers install' but most of the guides are quite old (circa 2006) and I thought I'd try and gather some knowledge here before proceeding.

Clear as mud

Beans

Re: What's the proper way to perform an OEM install?

I'm going to try just editing the user profile in Users and Groups. I think that should work, and I'll include printed instructions with each box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

kansasnoob,

I've installed a couple OEMs for a school. I don't remember exactly, but I recall when the install is finished and the machine is booted up there is a prompt to create a new user. When that user is created the installer user is removed and the new user added.

Ok I found the link, I did it with Jaunty and it worked the same way as in the Hardy how to.
    Last edited by presence1960; August 20th, 2009 at 07:16 PM.
    Multi-boot: Arch linux, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 & Windows 8

Beans

Awesome! Better than what I had planned!

Many thanks.