Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: *.docx blues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: *.docx blues

Quote Originally Posted by Brunellus View Post
    If anything *.docx breaks the de facto standard that MSFT's *.doc had become--and for no real benefit.
    thats not true .. If I am not wrong, docx is an open format right?
    Isn't that a thousand times better than the closed format doc?
    Sure we don't have much software that can read and write docx files as of now but it will slowly get there .. at least now we have an open format

Beans

Specifically, the judgment orders Microsoft to stop selling Word products "that have the capability of opening a .XML, .DOCX, or .DOCM file ('an XML file') containing custom XML."
    http://washingtontechnology.com/Arti...in.aspx?Page=2

"The evidence at trial established that Microsoft was aware that i4i had obtained a patent in support of its XML editing software," the judge writes. "Despite this, Microsoft did not present any evidence (or argue to the jury) that it ever conducted any investigation regarding the patent or i4i’s products."

In fact, Microsoft developers had met with i4i and expected that Word would simply bury that company's products.

The opinion quotes an email message from one a Microsoft developer: "we saw [i4i’s products] some time ago and met its creators. Word 11 will make it obsolete."
    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/27021/53/1/1/

Your teacher(s) should read this : http://www.odfalliance.org/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hessiess View Post
    Office 07 is perfectly capable of saving in .doc format, docx is just a deliberate breaking of backwards compatibility to force people to upgrade to 0ffice 07, complete with its horrible new interface.
    Except that you don't need to upgrade to Office 07 from 03 to read .docx, .xlsx, or .pptx file extensions. Microsoft has a Compatibility pack available for Office 03 installations that handles them perfectly.

Should I mark the thread solved?
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

vista also has a program that doesn't even require office that translates docx into doc.

but why can't you read this particular file? Was there some weird formatting or tables or something else that made it appear broken in open office? Last year in school i dealt with a lot of docx files and they all opened fine in Open office 3.

and if all else fails, upload the docx file to google docs, then export it back to odf.
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

this online conversion site might some in handy

http://www.zamzar.com/

so long as they have the newest service pack installed on office 2007 they should be able to save the files on odf format etc, so i have been lead to believe
    Ubuntu user # 16304 www.nocleanfeed.com
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it, and don't run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing.things i have learnt changing from Xp pro to Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The annoyance is:

1) It's a format change for no reason, and a technical answer given by

2) Someone who insists on cc:ing the whole effin' school when what she should be doing is running a proper mailing-list.

"good-enough" formatting, well, isn't.

Beans

abiword can read *.docx too.

Beans

my professors are at least tech savy enough to use doc thankfully
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

I had the same problem with my A+ teacher of all people last semester. He told me that if I needed the format changed that I would have to go to the computer lab at the college and open it there then save it to whatever I wanted. I was steamed.

BTW, off subject, where's your Lemming in your avatar?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

All my profs use .pdf, I guess I'm lucky!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast