Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Court orders Google to reveal anonymous blogger's identity

Beans

Re: Google betrays anonymous blogger's trust

Quote Originally Posted by Tristam Green View Post
    Why should the Internet be different? I don't know what was said about the model, but if it was sufficiently nasty, slander is still slander, and the courts are charged with upholding the laws pertinent to it.
    Correct, the order to reveal the bloggers identity was based on the judge deciding that the model had a solid case for defamation of character.

You either agree with laws protecting people from public defamation or not. The unmasking of this blogger is simply a consequence of the aforementioned laws.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

The fact that it went all the way to court shows how Google should be commended, not abused. They clearly didn't back down, and they can't ignore a court judgment.

P.S: The blog comment made me laugh.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, but even commentators outside the Internet show their faces, and then it's not really altogether hard to get their names. Why should the Internet be different? I don't know what was said about the model, but if it was sufficiently nasty, slander is still slander, and the courts are charged with upholding the laws pertinent to it.
    "I think so-n-so is a skank." is not slander (actually libel, this being a semi-permanent written form). It's an opinion. "So-n-so is a skank, I know." on the other hand, is libelous. The blog post in question is clearly stated in the form of an opinion. So, where's the crime?

The problem is being allowed to get information form a service provider before proving a crime or tort.

You want to be potentially slanderous about someone without anyone knowing who you are and why you said what you did? Go scrawl something on the bathroom stall walls - it's really the only medium that's untraceable.
    When newspapers start handing out home addresses of their letters-to-the-editor contributors I'll mourn the passing of our right to anonymous opinions. Anonymity is sometimes required to safely have your say.

There have been times when graffiti was the only form of anonymous speech. They were not good times.
    Jill has left these forums due to ongoing double-standards in rule enforcement.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It's also a classic case of someone being severely hubristic. What exactly is gained by the aforementioned skank by finding out the author's name?

If we all had conniptions every time someone had a poor opinion of us, nothing would ever get done. I think a 40-something needs to grow up.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JillSwift View Post
    "I think so-n-so is a skank." is not slander (actually libel, this being a semi-permanent written form). It's an opinion. "So-n-so is a skank, I know." on the other hand, is libelous. The blog post in question is clearly stated in the form of an opinion. So, where's the crime?
    Oh no, I got the difference between libel and slander wrong. I'm a horrible person

When newspapers start handing out home addresses of their letters-to-the-editor contributors I'll mourn the passing of our right to anonymous opinions. Anonymity is sometimes required to safely have your say.

There have been times when graffiti was the only form of anonymous speech. They were not good times.
    I just took a look through my local newspaper this morning at the editorial section. Only one letter, a single-paragraph tiny one, was anonymous. The rest list the writers' names and their respective locations, and in most cases, their addresses. Crazy how that op-ed writing works - I'm more likely to applaud someone's opinion when they leave contact information with their letters.
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

But how does the likelihood of you believing affect the right to anonymous opinion? Assuming of course, American civilians have the right to anonymous free speech (rather than just free speech). I'm not an American, so I'm not versed in your laws.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    It's also a classic case of someone being severely hubristic. What exactly is gained by the aforementioned skank by finding out the author's name?

If we all had conniptions every time someone had a poor opinion of us, nothing would ever get done. I think a 40-something needs to grow up.
    So she can anonymously blog back about that person too. Why on earth would that person hide his/her identity anyway? A COWARD IMO.
    OB-untu. #!crunchbang

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Google betrays anonymous blogger's trust
    One must be really out of his mind to trust Google for anything...
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Hidden!

Oh no, I got the difference between libel and slander wrong. I'm a horrible person
    And so ends the conversation.

That was mentioned in passing, kid. It wasn't a value judgment of you or your arguments.
    Jill has left these forums due to ongoing double-standards in rule enforcement.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post

I definitely wouldn't classify wanting to address someone who's publicly defaming you as hubris. I am personally sickened by people like Perez Hilton(and this blogger who appears to be shaping himself in the mold of Perez Hilton) and applaud the model for going after this person out of principal.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast