Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to make the totally unsupported Lexmark X2500 Work

Beans

Question Re: How to make the totally unsupported Lexmark X2500 Work

Quote Originally Posted by aquascrotum View Post
    I had this working in Karmic, have installed Oneiric and am now in a mess.

I can do everything up to:

When I go into the CUPS interface (CUPS 1.5?) to add a printer I dont get the option to add a new custom printer, only to add printers from a defined list. One of them is a Lexmark 2500 series, however if I select that I can't select "Lexmark USB Backend #1 (Lexmark X2500 series)" anywhere.

Can anyone shed any light!?
    I also have this same problem any help would be great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: How to make the totally unsupported Lexmark X2500 Work

Bit of a bump to the top - has anyone any new workaround around the new CuPS issue?

Beans

I think this bug is related to the problem..
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ps/+bug/908864

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Bump...I gave up and bought an Epson, still don't like having my printer turned into a brick though - any update on this bug?

Beans

Hmm... I checked the support page for Lexmark. The driver download page for the 2600 gives me no option to select a distro after selecting Linux/Unix from the dropdown. Am I just missing something incredibly obvious?

Beans

I've just started learning ubuntu. its going we'll. I'm sure I can alter the x2600 driver to work with my x2500...
    but I'm having the same issue the previous post describes: the Lexmark x2600 driver download page doesn't have a linux driver available.

I know its an ancient printer, but it works great for me. I love to implement the solution provided in this thread.

Can anybody help me find this x2600 driver?

thx

Beans

I found the x2600 link just by filtering for that (not also OS) http://support.lexmark.com/index?pag...en_US&id=DR860

But, unfortunately, when I tried to follow the installation instructions, the installer starts and then fails. It closes immediately and I couldn't copy and paste the error text, so I'm not sure what happened.

Current status for me is that I can't even get through the Lexmark installation. I'm on 12.04.

Beans

There are a couple threads on the forums about this (not always easy to find) but the short answer is the installer must be run as root. Unfortunately, the easiest way to do this is from a command line.

Open up a terminal. Navigate to the folder where your extracted download is (cd Downloads, or wherever your lexmark-inkjet-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh is located). Type 'sudo su' (no quotes) and enter your password. Then type ./lexmark-inkjet-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh.

This will allow the installer to run. Unfortunately, there is a new bug that has always existed in the driver that now affects newer versions of Ubuntu (it was working fine in 10.04, at least). So the installer still fails for me. I have contacted Lexmark support about this issue, and will be starting a new thread about it as well. Hopefully it can be resolved. It is a nice light duty printer, and as long as I can get ink for it I would like to keep using it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234