Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 4810TG on Jaunty - ATI Driver

Beans

Talking Re: Acer Timeline 4810TG on Jaunty - ATI Driver

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE

I found a tiny code on the net written by Sylvain on opensuse forums. It's a kernel module that uses ACPI functionality to completely turn off the ATI card! It's just awesome.

So here're the steps to a lot more energy efficient laptop:

1. Save the following as lenovo_acpi.c:
    Code:
    /* Linux kernel module that disables the discrete graphics board for Lenovo
     * U330. Other lenovo laptops could work, but I don't know.
     * Copyright (c) 2009: Sylvain Joyeux <sylvain.joyeux@m4x.org>
     */
    #include <acpi/acpi.h>

MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");

static acpi_handle root_handle;

static int __init kill_ati(void)
    {
        int i;
        acpi_status status;
        // The device handle
        acpi_handle handle;
        // The package elements
        union acpi_object package_elements[3];
        // The arguments to ATPX
        union acpi_object atpx_arg_elements[2];
        struct acpi_object_list atpx_arg;
        // For the return value of ATPX
        struct acpi_buffer buffer = { ACPI_ALLOCATE_BUFFER, NULL };

status = acpi_get_handle(root_handle, "\\_SB_.PCI0.OVGA.ATPX", &handle);
        if (ACPI_FAILURE(status))
        {
            status = acpi_get_handle(root_handle, "\\_SB_.PCI0.OVGA.XTPX", &handle);
            {
                printk("lenovo_acpi: cannot get ACPI handle: %s\n", acpi_format_exception(status));
                return -ENOSYS;
            }
            printk("lenovo_acpi: in discrete graphics mode\n");
            return 0;
        }

for (i = 0; i < 3; ++i)
        {
            package_elements[i].type = ACPI_TYPE_INTEGER;
            package_elements[i].integer.value = 0;
        }

atpx_arg.count = 2;
        atpx_arg.pointer = &atpx_arg_elements[0];

atpx_arg_elements[0].type = ACPI_TYPE_INTEGER;
        atpx_arg_elements[0].integer.value = 2;

atpx_arg_elements[1].type = ACPI_TYPE_PACKAGE;
        atpx_arg_elements[1].package.count = 3;
        atpx_arg_elements[1].package.elements = &package_elements[0];

status = acpi_evaluate_object(handle, NULL, &atpx_arg, &buffer);
        {
            printk("lenovo_acpi: ATPX method call failed: %s\n", acpi_format_exception(status));
            return -ENOSYS;
        }
        kfree(buffer.pointer);

printk("lenovo_acpi: disabled the discrete graphics card\n");
        return 0;
    }

static void dummy(void)
    {
    }

module_init(kill_ati);
    module_exit(dummy);
    2. Save the following as Makefile:

Code:
    ifneq ($(KERNELRELEASE),)
      obj-m := lenovo_acpi.o
    else
      KERNELDIR ?= /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build
      PWD := $(shell pwd)

default:
    	$(MAKE) -C $(KERNELDIR) M=$(PWD) $(EXTRA_FLAGS) modules

clean:
    	$(MAKE) -C $(KERNELDIR) M=$(PWD) $(EXTRA_FLAGS) clean

endif
    3. In the same folder, run the following shell commands:

Code:
    make
    sudo cp lenovo_acpi.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/
    sudo depmod
    echo lenovo_acpi | sudo tee -a /etc/modules > /dev/null
    4. Restart and choose "Switchable" graphics in the BIOS

Next time your linux boots, it should shut down the ATI card. Easiest way to check is to look at the battery life estimate.

All the credit goes to Sylvain for his fabulous hack - I just copied it here, so don't thank me.

NOTE: You need to compile this for each new kernel you install - I know too little to make it work with all kernels (see dkms)

Reference: http://forum.suse.co.in/index.php?t=...8e9e12541a85d3

Beans

Re: Acer Timeline 4810TG on Jaunty - ATI Driver

Thanks jacktow! This worked for me using Acer Timeline 5810TG on 64-bit Ubuntu with kernel 2.6.3.0 Was previously running the latest Catalyst drivers and getting battery life of about 2.5 maybe 3 hrs - Now it's indicating I'll have over 4 and I reckon (or am hoping) it's being conservative as it adjusts to the changes slowly!

The prob with this kernel is it doesn't let me change the brightness at all! Maybe I'll move down to 2.6.3.0RCx ... or something.

Beans

What release of ubuntu are you using? I installed the latest testing release (Karmic Alpha 5), and everything including the brightness control works like a charm. The only major broken feature is suspend to RAM.

Your battery life might drop a little by changing to Karmic at this stage, because of some kernel scheduler performance problems, but not so much so to considerably upset you

Beans

I'm using Jaunty. I haven't looked at Karmik yet, maybe I'll give that a go but I'm sure at least one of the kernels somewhere between 2.6.29 - 31 worked perfectly with the brightness controls!

I don't usually tinker this far so I've learnt quite a bit..I'd never have thought to stick code there that was written for a different make of laptop!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deltaromeo View Post
    Thanks jacktow! This worked for me using Acer Timeline 5810TG on 64-bit Ubuntu with kernel 2.6.3.0 Was previously running the latest Catalyst drivers and getting battery life of about 2.5 maybe 3 hrs - Now it's indicating I'll have over 4 and I reckon (or am hoping) it's being conservative as it adjusts to the changes slowly!
    Big thanks to jacktow from me as well! I've reported this as a bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/435906

I've also reported some other bugs that affect Timeline machines: https://bugs.launchpad.net/~tuukkah

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jacktow View Post
    OK, so I ended up setting the BIOS graphics option to "Discrete" mode and installing ATI's proprietary driver and using its Low Power mode. I get about 4 hours of battery life. NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

It's at least usable now. Here's my thought on the issue. The only problem here is a crappy BIOS. All we need is an option in the BIOS to allow switching to Integrated graphics just like Lenovo T400 does (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...=MIGR-70495#g5).

Now, we can either wait and hope for such an option to show up in future BIOS updates from acer, or we can ask acer to consider it. I'm yet to find an email address where I can contact acer!
    I have the 8371g.

I've been in contact with acer about this, and they pointed out BIOS version 1.07 available on their support site. I downgraded from 1.11 and sure enough i could now select the integrated display adapter. But this bios is older and has hardware virtualization disabled unlike newer versions. This was a disadvantage for me, so I upgraded to the 1.11 bios again, and am using the discrete adapter with the latest driver from ati. I'm getting 5 hours+ of battery life.

They said BIOS 1.13 was going to be released soon, which they told me to try. Haven't seen it yet on their site though, but one can hope..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch_parmesan View Post
    I have the 8371g.

I've been in contact with acer about this, and they pointed out BIOS version 1.07 available on their support site. I downgraded from 1.11 and sure enough i could now select the integrated display adapter. But this bios is older and has hardware virtualization disabled unlike newer versions. This was a disadvantage for me, so I upgraded to the 1.11 bios again, and am using the discrete adapter with the latest driver from ati. I'm getting 5 hours+ of battery life.

They said BIOS 1.13 was going to be released soon, which they told me to try. Haven't seen it yet on their site though, but one can hope..
    Well I don't know what you told them to get such a reply from Acer, all I got was "Linux is not supported" and when I told them XP had the same issue, they had already locked on the L word.

Also, I'm usually wary of upgrading/downgrading my BIOS firmware (horrible past experiences) so I guess I wait for someone to try it out first. If and when you install it on yours, please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jacktow View Post
    Well I don't know what you told them to get such a reply from Acer, all I got was "Linux is not supported" and when I told them XP had the same issue, they had already locked on the L word.

Also, I'm usually wary of upgrading/downgrading my BIOS firmware (horrible past experiences) so I guess I wait for someone to try it out first. If and when you install it on yours, please let us know how it goes.

Thanks
    I've tried bios 1.07, 1.10 and 1.11. 1.07 supports selecting the integrated adapter. No problem flashing the bios. I used freedos running from usb and the dos flashing program included in the bios file on the acer site. Had to use 2 flags to the flashing program because i had a newer version, and it didn't want to downgrade unless i forced it to.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

meh ... wrong thread

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

lspci returns for me:
    Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M92 LP [Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series]
    Does that mean I have both adapters turned on? (notebook is quite hot in the left part and battery lifetime estimate is ~2h)

A question about that fix by Sylvian: if I use it, can I afterwards enable the ATI adapter?
    Last edited by netimen; October 8th, 2009 at 08:40 PM.
    Xubuntu 12.10 on Lenovo T520

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast