Thread: backup files for reinstallation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

backup files for reinstallation

I have dual booted ubuntu alongside vista since 7.04 and somewhere along the way I had a messy upgrade and my audio stopped working. I have tried many things to correct this but have not been successful. I am convinced that a reinstallation is the best way to fix this problem. I do not want to lose any of my files such as my emerald themes, programs, custom grub loader etc. What is the best way to back up my files before i reinstall? I currently am running hardy but would like to install jaunty. Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: backup files for reinstallation

a bit offtopic:
    do we have some linux utility (or some other utility) to make a fulle image of existing linux partition so that we can just restore a full working system, but yes we've to backup/mimic the older GRUB for the MBR part. thank you. i guess we've some similar tools available for windows which does exactly the same thing; i don't remember the name, btw.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: backup files for reinstallation

Quote Originally Posted by harry2006 View Post
    a bit offtopic:
    do we have some linux utility (or some other utility) to make a fulle image of existing linux partition so that we can just restore a full working system, but yes we've to backup/mimic the older GRUB for the MBR part. thank you. i guess we've some similar tools available for windows which does exactly the same thing; i don't remember the name, btw.
    not really off topic, just may be overkill for the OP, BUT WILL backup BOOT/MBR

http://clonezilla.org/