Thread: How to I give more space to Ubuntu

Beans

How to I give more space to Ubuntu

Pretty sure I did a terrible job when I installed Ubuntu from the CD by not giving it near enough space.
    I can't even download the updates that it is asking for (411 mb).

What is the easiest way for me to give my Ubuntu partition another 100 gigs?
    I don't have to uninstall Ubuntu and then install again do I?
    Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: How to I give more space to Ubuntu

you'll be using the LiveCD to facilitate the adjustments to your partitions but before you change anything, you might include a screenshot of your partition editor(if you've added it and are familiar with it)

Link: Help Vampires? * * * Please Edit First Post Title With "[SOLVED]" When It Is!
    MANDATORY INFORMATION: make, model/build number, OSes, software, accessories
    /customizations/modifications/peripherals/etc...and a DETAILED account of difficulties!

Beans

two questions for then -

1) I need to download a partition editor? Best/Free one to download?
    2) LiveCD = the CD I used to install Ubuntu on my laptop? I will need to set the machine up to boot from CD and then I can find my way?
    Thanks for the quick response.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/JB/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/JB/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jschille; August 16th, 2009 at 07:10 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You didn't say in your first post that you were using Vista...

I took a look at your screenshot and you definitely will need to work on partitioning(plenty of partitioning information/tutorials strewn across the interwebs)

so...
    Quote Originally Posted by jschille View Post
    1) I need to download a partition editor? Best/Free one to download?
    no, use Vista to partition/adjust partitions

Quote Originally Posted by jschille View Post
    2) LiveCD = the CD I used to install Ubuntu on my laptop? I will need to set the machine up to boot from CD and then I can find my way?
    use Vista to create/adjust the partitions as you want them

Once you have the partitioning done to your satisfaction then you can install ubuntu
    Link: Help Vampires? * * * Please Edit First Post Title With "[SOLVED]" When It Is!
    /customizations/modifications/peripherals/etc...and a DETAILED account of difficulties!

Beans

thanks for sharing these links we giving u quick response

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

as a further note to present and future visitors...

it is possible that this OP can satisfy the trouble-call without the necessity of reinstalling ubuntu

however, in the interest of simplicity and caution, I would rather see the partitioning done carefully(preserving Vista) and then a fresh install of ubuntu

one might use Vista to shrink the existing Vista partition and then use the ubuntu LiveCD to increase the size of ubuntu's current partition(that may or may not work out without any glitches)

and finally a swap partition of the proper size must be added