Thread: USB recognized, but no permission to mount.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

[SOLVED] USB recognized, but no permission to mount.

When I first installed ubuntu, 8.10, usb drives mounted fine. Then somewhere along the way, I lost permission to mount them. I upgraded to Jaunty, hoping to fix the problem, but I still don't have permission to mount the usb drive. The system "sees" it under PLACES -> COMPUTER as "4.1 GB Media", but when I plug it in, I get a dialogue box stating "Cannot mount volume. You are not privileged to mount this volume." I get the same dialogue box when I right click and try to mount it from the drop down menu. My username is an administrator and the "Access external storage devices automatically" box is checked under SYSTEM -> ADMINISTRATION -> USERS & GROUPS. Help! I need to do some backups!
    Last edited by cscomp3; August 21st, 2009 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: USB recognized, but no permission to mount.

Try with a sudo command.

Else Open nautilus in root mode
    Type the following in window opened by Pressing Alt+F2 or type this in terminal

Code:
    sudo nautilus
    Now you should be capable of mounting the drive without any problem
    "Those Who Can, Will Finish It.
    Those Who Can't Will Justify/Complain the reasons."

Beans
    Distro

This one is solved. I ran dmesg and found where the system was trying to mount the drive. It was trying to mount the drive to the same locaiton as an old hard drive that was no longer in the system. I ran sudo gedit and took the appropriate line out of fstab. The usb drive mounts just fine now. Thanks rraj.be. Your suggestion of using sudo nautilus helps get me in the right direction of how to manage this system.

How do I mark this as solved?

Beans

you currently cant as the feature is disabled , but i think you could try renaming the title and adding a [SOLVED]

Beans
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: USB recognized, but no permission to mount.

Quote Originally Posted by cscomp3 View Post
    This one is solved. I ran dmesg and found where the system was trying to mount the drive. It was trying to mount the drive to the same locaiton as an old hard drive that was no longer in the system. I ran sudo gedit and took the appropriate line out of fstab. The usb drive mounts just fine now. Thanks rraj.be. Your suggestion of using sudo nautilus helps get me in the right direction of how to manage this system.

How do I mark this as solved?
    Add [SOLVED] to the start of the title and also add the tag 'solved'.