Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Autoconfig your laptop for different networks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

HOWTO: Autoconfig your laptop for different networks

What this guide will do
    This How-To is for those of you who use a laptop in several different networks, and are tired of always re-configuring the network by hand. When you do all the steps in this How-To, your laptop will configure itself automagically whenever you move it to a new network.

This is my very first how-to, so please post any comments/suggestions & questions if you have any!

I have a laptop computer which I move around in several wired networks: at home, at work, in my university and probably also elsewhere. Sometimes I also have no cable plugged in at all. I was searching for a solution to automatically configure the network depending on in which network I am, and depending on if the cable is plugged in at all.

I found a very slick solution to this which only needs two small programs: ifplugd and guessnet. The advantage of this solution is that your network is still controlled by the standard Debian ifupdown system, guessnet is just a little addon which will run some tests on your network before ifupdown is called, and ifplugd will basically detect if your network cable is plugged in or not. It will also shut down your network device when your laptop goes to sleep and re-acivate it on resume.

Guessnet can do several tests on the network to find out where you are with your laptop and configure the networking accordingly. These tests are based on ARP requests, so you need not only IP addresses, but also the MAC addresses in your networks. Using ARP has the advantage that even if two networks have a host with the same IP (it's common that home networks have a router at 192.168.1.1 for example) you can still distinguish between the two networks because there will always be different MAC addresses.

What this guide will NOT do
    This guide will not cover wireless devices, simply because I don't have one and couldn't tell you much about it. But guessnet also works with wireless devices and can run appropiate tests (search for an access point etc.), you can find information about this when you follow the link at the end of this guide.

Step 1: Install guessnet & ifplugd
    This is straightforward:

Code:
    apt-get install guessnet ifplugd
    This will install both together with one or two small libs that are needed.

Step 2: Tell your system to use guessnet
    All network configuration is done by the ifupdown init script which as it's configuration in /etc/network/interfaces. Usually, the ifupdown init script of Ubuntu looks into this file and configures all network interfaces as described there. We first have to tell ifupdown that instead of just configuring the interface, it should first ask guessnet to find out in which network we are. To do this, add this code snippet at the beginning of /etc/network/interfaces:

Code:
    mapping eth0
            script guessnet-ifupdown
            map default: none
            map timeout: 3
            map verbose: true
    Step 3: Configure all the different networks you use
    Somewhere down the config file you'll either have a DHCP or a static configuration for your network card(s), probably looking like this:

Code:
    iface eth0 inet static
            address 192.168.1.10
            netmask 255.255.255.0
            gateway 192.168.1.1
    auto eth0
    Instead of such a single configuration for eth0, we will have several different configurations, one for each of the networks that you're in. So please comment (#) the current entry for the interface you want to configure, or delete it completely, we won't need it anymore.

We will add several possible network configurations now. Each network configuration will have a unique name that you can choose freely, I'll use the names "home" and "work" in my examples. Here they are:

Code:
    iface home inet static
            address 192.168.1.20
            netmask 255.255.255.0
            gateway 192.168.1.1
            dns-search my-home-isp.net
            dns-nameservers 62.206.1.4 62.206.2.4
            test peer address 192.168.1.1 mac 00:11:09:D2:22:32

iface work inet static
            address 10.0.0.55
            netmask 255.0.0.0
            gateway 10.0.0.1
            dns-search my-work-isp.net
            dns-nameservers 122.131.5.2 122.131.5.3
            test peer address 10.0.0.10 mac 03:51:C9:D5:AB:20
    You can add as many such configurations as you want, just adjust them according to your needs. The important line for guessnet is the "test" statements. The "test" statement tells guessnet to check if the host at the given IP has the given MAC address. If this is true, then guessnet has found your network. For these tests, you should choose a host that is always available in the network like your home router, the file server in your university, the big managed switch at your working place etc.

It might be a good idea to make more than one test, e.g. you could test two servers, and if one of the server is down for some reason, the network is still correctly detected. You can do this with two numbered "test" lines:

Code:
    	test1 peer address 192.168.1.1 mac 00:11:09:D2:22:32
    	test2 peer address 192.168.1.2 mac cd:12:ac:03:53:12
    It can be a bit tricky to find the right hosts to test for. In my home network, it doesn't work if I test my router (which is a very strange one anyway), but it works fine if I test for my server or for my desktop machine, which is turned on most of the time. So if you experience that guessnet doesn't correctly detect your network, simply try a different server, a different router etc. Guessnet will actually run all tests in parallel, so it doesn't make the whole procedure take longer if you add some more hosts.

In some cases a host that you test will not respond to an ARP request which doesn't have a source IP (remember, your interface is not yet configured, so your computer has no IP address when these tests are done). In this case, you can just tell guessnet to use a bogus IP address as source address:

Code:
    test peer address 192.168.1.1 mac cd:11:ff:D2:52:32 source 192.168.1.20
    As a source address you can have: Either the IP address you know that you'll get, or the address of the network (e.g. 192.168.1.0) or an IP address that you know is not used elsewhere in the network.

Hint
    You propably don't know the MAC addresses of the hosts in your network, but it's easy to find them out. If you want to find out the MAC address of your home router at 192.168.1.1 for example, simply ping this server once:

Code:
    ping -c 1 192.168.1.1
    Then, run the command

Code:
    arp -a
    This will print out the ARP table of your laptop. In this table, search for the IP address you justed pinged and you'll find the corresponding MAC address in the same line.

Step 4: Add a DHCP fallback entry & a unplugged configuration
    It's likely that you will also use your laptop within a new network where you haven't been before, and in such a case it's always a good idea to try to get an IP address via DHCP. I'll call this configuration "unknown", the entry for /etc/network/interfaces is simple:

Code:
    iface unknown inet dhcp
    Also, if you don't have a cable plugged in at all, the system should know what to do. In this case, we don't assign a IP address to the interface at all:

Code:
    iface disconnected inet static
            test missing-cable
    One important thing is to remove the line "auto eth0" from /etc/network/interfaces, so that we make sure that eth0 is controlled by guessnet (if you want to control another interface with guessnet, you have to remove the corresponding "auto" line of course)

Your file /etc/network/interfaces should now look something like this:

Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

mapping hotplug
            script grep
            map eth0

mapping eth0
            script guessnet-ifupdown
            map default: none
            map timeout: 3
            map verbose: true

iface home inet static
            address 192.168.1.20
            netmask 255.255.255.0
            gateway 192.168.1.1
            dns-search my-home-isp.net
            dns-nameservers 62.206.1.4 62.206.2.4
            test1 peer address 192.168.1.1 mac 00:11:09:D2:22:32
    	test2 peer address 192.168.1.2 mac cd:12:ac:03:53:12

iface work inet static
            address 10.0.0.55
            netmask 255.0.0.0
            gateway 10.0.01
            dns-search my-work-isp.net
            dns-nameservers 122.131.5.2 122.131.5.3
            test peer address 10.0.0.10 mac 03:51:C9:D5:AB:20

iface unknown inet dhcp

iface disconnected inet static
            test missing-cable

Step 5: Configure ifplugd
    Now comes the easy part: We basically just have to tell ifplugd which interfaces it should control and start it. Edit the file /etc/default/ifplugd and add the interface(s) you want to auto-config to the INTERFACES variable. Please also remove the "-q" from the ARGS variable. Running ifplugd --help will tell you what the others args do, they are basically for tweaking the behaviour, but the default behaviour should be fine. Now restart ifplugd:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/ifplugd restart
    and check if it is running:

Code:
    ps -e | grep ifplugd
    Now with ifplugd running & guessnet being configured you should hear a few beeps from your speakers. Ifplugd will make a "light" beep if you plug in the network cable, and you'll hear a second "light" beep if a network has been detected, or if you've got an address via DHCP. If you unplug the network cable, you'll hear a "dark" beep. If you put your laptop to sleep (close the lid) you should also hear a "dark" beep", and you should hear two "light" beeps again when you resume your laptop.

One neat thing of ifplugd is that when you put your laptop to sleep, the network interface is stopped (dark beep). Now, move your laptop to a different network (while it is sleeping), resume it at the new location and ifplugd will start the network again, discover that you're in a different network and re-configure the interface. If you're in a completely new network that you didn't configure, your computer will always try to get an address via DHCP.

Finished!
    Well I hope it works for you, it has definitely made my mobile life a lot easier. I don't have to fiddle around with the network config anymore, I just plug the cable in and voila I'm done

Links
    Guessnet: http://guessnet.alioth.debian.org/
    Last edited by el3ktro; February 2nd, 2006 at 12:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: HOWTO: Autoconfig your laptop for different networks

Great How-To!

In my case the laptop is either connected to a hub or a cable modem. How do I check for their MAC-addresses?

AFAIK the address should be displayed on a label on the modem itself, but I don't see any. Guess it has already peeled off. Same goes for the hub.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi,
    I'm glad my how-to was helpful to you. You can find out which MAC your hub/modem has easily:

1. Send a ping to both, e.g. ping 192.168.1.1
    2. Then look at the ARP table by running arp -a

The ARP table will tell you which IP addresses in your network have which MAC addresses. ARP is the protocol that guessnet uses to find out in which network it is, via the ARP protcol IP addresses are mapped to hardware (MAC) addresses.

Tom

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

How do I find out which IP-address they have?

I know the server's IP-address (when using the hub), but not the one of the hub (if there is any). Can I use the server's IP and MAC? If you don't know, I will try sometime.

The same goes for the cable-modem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Great howto, I'll try it out when I get a chance. Never heard of these cool tools before..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Sokraates

I know the server's IP-address (when using the hub), but not the one of the hub (if there is any). Can I use the server's IP and MAC? If you don't know, I will try sometime.

Hubs & switched generally don't have an IP address, except managed switches which you might find in large networks. In such a case it would be best to ask the local admin to give you the IP & MAC of this switch & tell them why you need them.

It's best to use the IP & MAC of any local server which you know is always on, or you take the IP of your DSL/Cable router. You can find out their MAC addresses by sending a ping to them from your laptop and by looking at the ARP table of your laptop with arp- a.

If you know te IP address of the server, connect your laptop to the network, send a ping to the server and then enter "arp- a", you'll get a list in which you'll find the server's IP address & it's MAC addres. Simply enter them in /etc/network/interfaces and you're done.

Tom

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

GTK-wifi for the wireless part?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by cbudden
    GTK-wifi for the wireless part?
    Please don't ask me this I have no wireless at all (damn) so i can't tell much about this. I've just read on the hp of guessnet that it supports searching for access point, SSIDs etc., but if you need such an auto-config behaviour for wifi interfaces I'm afraid I can't help you

Tom

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

For wireless, I suggest using Wifi-radar (apt-get install wifi-radar), it's so easy, lightweight and very helpfull, thats what I use myself

gtkwifi is good too, but i don't want a gnome applet, i'd rather hae gnome-network-manager instead which is wired/wireless but still in development..
    [My Blog] | [My Sites] | [My Ubuntu Guides]

doc.gwos.org, the real successor of Ubuntu Guide

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sokraates

What I would do is scan the thing with NMAP. That should give you the MAC-address.
    "Windows is something to overcome"

Howto's by me:
    Tweak firefox! (URL now works..)
    Backup/Restore your system!
    Avoid having to reboot

Compentux.org
    , the Linux Tip & Howto gathering initiative!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast