Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 : Amusing Observation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thumbs down Windows 7 : Amusing Observation

So, my family got the prerelease version of Windows 7 RTM since my Dad works with a partner company or some jazz, and he wanted me to install it for him.

Now, my family would be all-in with the Linux camp if not for one thing- iTunes. In fact, I think this is the major app preventing most people from switching, since they have iPod touches and don't wanna' hack stuff. I don't endorse DRM and heavyweight media-playing with selective formats, ("let's convert wma since I'm too sissy to read it ;^;"), but it would open Linux up to a lot of people.

Anyway, back on subject, Windows 7 doesn't have a migration manager to move your documents from Windows XP, only from Vista. *ahem* Let me repeat that. Ubuntu has better migration abilities with Windows systems than Windows 7 does. A major pitfall in my opinion (Windows folks freak out at the word 'partition').

So, we partitioned the hard drive- luckily we had enough free space to move all the old files over. Another big issue that we can't hack to workaround is the aero dealy. XGL = bliss compared to this unsupported, still forcing you to upgrade graphics card B.S. I mean, we did buy the computer only 4 years ago, it should have Vista capabilities Silliness.

ANYway, some good things. Windows 7 is snappy- snappier than our XP install. Don't ask me how, but with 1 GB of RAM and a 1.6 Ghz processor, it's actually very nice. This could be due to the lack of aero.

Libraries are confusing, but will probably catch on (organizes like-typed folders together, instead of you looking through music folders, it groups common ones together). It's nice not to have words on the window list, but only because the superbar is so BIG. Dockbar, indeed.

Overall, being a Vista convert to Ubuntu, although I was never too disappointed with the interface, there are just a lot of complexities that've been relieved, and more buttons and options put in the right places.

And native ISO burning! WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT!? (now all they need is native mounting)

But don't be afraid, people. Linux still whoops on this software. And it's free.

I'm just here to announce that, despite some obvious downfalls that will always be a part of Windows, it's finally become something I can conceive of someone else paying for. It's finally convenient enough to excuse their iTunes whoredom.

Which means that Linux is going to improve exponentially over this release, as well. ;3 I can't wait to see what extra features we pull out of our pockets to romp on the competition.

It's also good because it means I'll have less friends complaining about Windows to me, trying to get me fix its problems. *happy sigh*

Anyone else tested the release candidate or betas? (not that I'd expect you to) I still think Windows isn't worth paying for, but my main question here is what you think this means for software quality coming into the next decade? We're already ahead of Microsoft in every area except for Voice Recognition. And their version isn't all that useful.

Thoughts, opinions, exaggerations? Give me your amusing observations of Microsoft's latest, and perhaps last, shot at desktop computing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Windows 7 : Amusing Observation

I tried the beta, RC, and RTM. Windows 7 is a great addition to the Windows Family, Microsoft really outdid themselves. It's usable, and the aero affects look good (though I did miss my wobbly windows).

That said, Ubuntu (and other Linux distros) simply work better. I find it to be faster, and it makes things more snappier. I actually did a benchmark while at my grandma's, and my internet connection speed was faster in Ubuntu than in Windows 7.

If you -must- have Windows, go for Windows 7 without a doubt. But for the geek that prefers to choose his path, Ubuntu is still the way to go.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

Actually if you were installing from WinXP-Win7 should have created a folder in the Win7 partition called "Windows.old"-which should have copies of all your progs/docs etc.

Also iTunes is not what is stopping Linux adoption. Pfffffft.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
    Also iTunes is not what is stopping Linux adoption. Pfffffft.
    Of course not. Everyone knows it's MS Paint, the greatest graphics software ever written. And on Win7, it can even save images as PNG!
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post
    Of course not. Everyone knows it's MS Paint, the greatest graphics software ever written. And on Win7, it can even save images as PNG!
    Get OUT!
    *pushes HymnToLife*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Lmao! Looks like Microsoft's been learning lessons from open source. Listening to their customers, I guess. I certainly don't think iTunes is what's keeping people from adopting Linux! XD

It just is for my close family and extended family, and a few of my friends. Due mostly to the fact that half of them have iPhones and can't get apps any other way.

We just need to hack the iPod touch and allow people to load Java apps or jailbreak with Linux. That's probably not too far in the future. If that happens, we probably won't have Windows 7 in my parents' house at all. XD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by murderslastcrow View Post
    Lmao! Looks like Microsoft's been learning lessons from open source. Listening to their customers, I guess. I certainly don't think iTunes is what's keeping people from adopting Linux! XD

It just is for my close family and extended family, and a few of my friends. Due mostly to the fact that half of them have iPhones and can't get apps any other way.

We just need to hack the iPod touch and allow people to load Java apps or jailbreak with Linux. That's probably not too far in the future. If that happens, we probably won't have Windows 7 in my parents' house at all. XD
    You can jailbreak on Linux. The Dev Team released redsn0w 0.8.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think that iTunes is a major reason why more people do not switch away from Windows. It kept me from switching for a while. On that note, does anyone know if iTunes can be run through Wine or VMware?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Caplan View Post
    I think that iTunes is a major reason why more people do not switch away from Windows. It kept me from switching for a while. On that note, does anyone know if iTunes can be run through Wine or VMware?
    VMware/VirtualBox, yes. WINE, no
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast