Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Lifecam VX-1000

Beans

Microsoft Lifecam VX-1000

First off, I am sorry for posting this, but I have idea what else to do. I have been looking around for days trying to find the answer. I cannnot get my Microsoft Lifecam VX-1000 webcam working at all. I am using Ubuntu Jaunty. I have tried using Cheese, Skype, Camorama, you name it. I've read this post http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/sh....php?t=1034988 over and over again. It stated that I should do the following:

Code:
    # wget http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/archive/tip.tar.gz
    # tar zxvf tip.tar.gz
    # cd v4l... (whatever the newly created directory name is)
    # make all
    # sudo make install

edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-custom and add:
    blacklist sn9c102

# reboot
    Code:
    sudo gstreamer-properties
    I've tried this but the only problem is that I can't find the blacklist-custom file for my life. This is one of the few the things that is just keeping me from moving from Windows completely. I would really appreciate it if somebody, anybody at all could help me with this.
    Last edited by Nate Shoffner; August 13th, 2009 at 06:43 PM.

Beans

Re: Microsoft Lifecam VX-1000

Bump. Please, can anybody give me an idea as to what I should do? I've tried everything. How come some people are able to get it working. I even just tried upgrading the kernel....still no luck.

Beans
    Hidden!

bumpity-bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

some people have had success with vx-1000 and vx-3000 cams here.
    hope it works for you too

Beans

Hey all just to tell you, I installed the latest kernel and amazingly enough my lifecam vx1000 worked after I rebooted (except the mic)

this is the website

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

I installed v2.6.30.5

before I installed the kernel I tried this

http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html

and all that come up what a static image where all there was, was just a green image so I dunno if you need to install the drivers before as well to get it to work

oh and my belkin fd5070 wireless (wireless g USB adaptor) has improved greatly from random slow downs to it working constantly

gonna try my netgear wg111v3 next because it would cut off after connecting to a WPA connection, will let you guys know soon

EDIT WOOP it worked but half the speed of my belkin though so not amazing but hey better than nothing

I love kernel updates
    Last edited by Richardarkless; August 31st, 2009 at 12:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Smile Re: Microsoft Lifecam VX-1000

I have this cam. It took me a long time, 6 months to get the right driver up and working. Here is what I recommend:

Do this:
    Download driver:
    http://linuxtv.org/hg/~jfrancois/gspca/
    grab the .bz2 file - located on the left bar
    extract and change directory
    in terminal type "make" no quotes, takes a few mins
    then type "sudo make install"
    reboot

tested working on Intrepid With Cheese, Ekiga, Skype, GyachE, Xawtv

COLORS are fine! no more green/blue Hardy mess.
    not working in Camorama, Camstream, errors in gqcam

installed xawtv, luvcview, and removed camserv.

UPDATE! if you have errors on the MAKE step, you can use "make distclean" "make clean" then "make menuconfig" and deselect the other drivers included, I had errors trying this on my upgrade to karmic alpha 4 & 5. After the last step run a normal "make" and "sudo make install"

Beans

This sounds like a good solution. Just want to confirm that a new kernel isn't required for this solution, correct? I am a Ubuntu newbie and don't want to try something I can't undo or support...thanks for your help...

I have the Microsoft VX-1000 webcam...trying to enable video calls in Skype.

David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by roussain View Post
    This sounds like a good solution. Just want to confirm that a new kernel isn't required for this solution, correct? I am a Ubuntu newbie and don't want to try something I can't undo or support...thanks for your help...

I have the Microsoft VX-1000 webcam...trying to enable video calls in Skype.

David
    Rebuilding the kernel takes 2+ hours, installing from source 5 minutes, your choice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

With the newest kernel updates for 9.04 my webcam works again too,with this command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install subversion build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r) && wget http://linuxtv.org/hg/~jfrancois/gspca/archive/tip.tar.bz2 && tar xf tip.tar.bz2 && cd gspca-* && make && sudo make install && sudo depmod -ae $(uname -r)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jesterthejedi View Post
    I have this cam. It took me a long time, 6 months to get the right driver up and working. Here is what I recommend:

Do this:
    Download driver:
    http://linuxtv.org/hg/~jfrancois/gspca/
    grab the .bz2 file - located on the left bar
    extract and change directory
    in terminal type "make" no quotes, takes a few mins
    then type "sudo make install"
    reboot

tested working on Intrepid With Cheese, Ekiga, Skype, GyachE, Xawtv

COLORS are fine! no more green/blue Hardy mess.
    not working in Camorama, Camstream, errors in gqcam

installed xawtv, luvcview, and removed camserv.

UPDATE! if you have errors on the MAKE step, you can use "make distclean" "make clean" then "make menuconfig" and deselect the other drivers included, I had errors trying this on my upgrade to karmic alpha 4 & 5. After the last step run a normal "make" and "sudo make install"
    Has this been tested in Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) 64-bit? I'm trying to get my LifeCam VX-1000 working in Karmic 64-bit with no luck.

I was hoping to get the preload trick to work since most other people seem to be having luck with that (Jaunty users mostly it seems), but I've not had any luck with v4l1/v4l2 in the lib/lib32/lib64 folders. I've tried all of the combinations to make sure. Including gstreamer-properties set to v4l/v4l2 both ways.

So, anyone know if this GSPCA install is working (mic and video) in Karmic 64-bit? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast