Re: Realtek rtl8192e wireless not seen

you could also try using the lucid kernel which has the driver
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...highlight=8192

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Satori80 View Post
    No offence meant here, but giving out the URL to this file repeatedly isn't going to help those of us who aren't paying users. The site has been "too busy" to allow free downloads for over a week now. Though I certainly do appreciate your willingness to, and contributions toward, helping your fellow Linux users.

I finally gave up and emailed Realtek. I find it frustrating that they won't just make it publicly available themselves. I'm going to have to strongly suggest they do that if/when I get a reply.

It really makes me wish I still had my servers online. The only thing I could do now to offer to help would be to post it to Usenet -- but that's not a solution as not everybody knows how to access it.

I did notice somebody offered to put it on his FTP server though... that seems like a reasonable solution if he's still up for it.
    I'm only trying to help as that is the only solution I could come up with for the time being. The latest link is a full time dedicated link now so it should not expire.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I got this card working under 32bit Ubuntu Lucid (haven't tried 64 bit Lucid, although did not get very far with 64 bit Karmic) on the Samsung R580. The Lucid kernel has a driver for the rtl8192e built in, but it does not yet have firmware. I obtained the firmware and put it in the right place using the method described in this post:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8752410

Beans

Smile Re: Realtek rtl8192e wireless not seen

Toshiba Satellite L505D-S6947 - Turion X2 RM-74 64bit with RTL8192E card successfully working.

Ubuntu 9.10 64bit
    Linux kernel 2.6.31.17

I have a standard dual-boot installation of Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic 64bit, all automatic updates had been done, and then I applied the driver's easy instructions to install and start it. No fussy changes to apply.

The only odd thing is that my cursor becomes invisible if I move it over the antenna icon before the connection is completed. I can sure live with that.

The driver I used is rtl8192e_linux_2.6.0013.0127.2010.tar.gz and I obtained it simply by e-mailing wlanfae@realtek.com to get the latest status for RTL8192E driver for linux 64bit systems.

On my first e-mail to realtek, I was sent file rtl8192e_linux_2.6.0012.1210.2009.tar.gz which did NOT work for me. So I sent back the output of DMESG, lspci, and a md5sum of the firmware files to realtek and asked for help.

The next day, I received this new file: rtl8192e_linux_2.6.0013.0127.2010.tar.gz

I recompiled it, rebooted and my network came in automaticly. (WEPA2 encription)

The morale: don't hesitate like me to e-mail realtek to get your drivers file, they seemed quite happy to help me.

Special thanks to kidman@realtek.com
    Last edited by moaoci; February 11th, 2010 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Remove typing error

Beans

moaoci thanks for the update, any chance you can upload that file some place like http://rapidshare.com/index.html

I am currently waiting for a response to my request from RealTek for the latest driver and a link to some place that we may look for future updates

Beans

Exclamation Re: Realtek rtl8192e wireless not seen

Keep your driver files at hand reach.

The driver needs to be re-installed ( sudo su + make clean + make + make install + reboot ) whenever the Linux kernel number changes.

Last night, the update manager updated my system and the Linux Kernel 2.6.31.19 was installed and I lost my wifi immediately at reboot. I had to reinstall the RTL8192E driver (sudo su + make clean + make + make install + reboot ) and everything was back to normal.
    Last edited by moaoci; February 11th, 2010 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Apply changes pointed out by Chili555

Beans

You are welcomed to make it available elsewhere if you want, when you'll get the driver from realtek.

The best solution would be from Realtek download site... I requested it and I don't know if they are seriously thinking of doing so. If they start receiving too many e-mail driver requests, they might... But they might be OK with e-mail distribution until Linux Kernel supports it.

Let us know if and when you decide to distribute the RTL8192E driver (and it's updates).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

The driver needs to be re-installed ( make + make install + reboot ) whenever the Linux kernel number changes.
    I suggest:
    Code:
    sudo su
    make clean
    make
    make install
    reboot
    'make clean' removes any files created in your previous 'make' done against the old kernel. You are quite correct that the process needs to be re-run every time a new kernel, known in Ubuntu-speak as linux-image, is installed. The clue will be when your wireless conks out with no warning.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

I just bought a Toshiba Satellite L555D-S7005, and installed Ubuntu 9.10 32 bit on it. The wireless network card does not work out of the box. I fixed it with the following protocol:

1. Go to device manager in Windows 7 (preloaded on this laptop) and see what driver is installed for the wireless card. In my case, it says "Realtek RTL8191SE".

2. Go to the Realtek web page and download the driver for the IEEE 802.11b/g/n chipset that matches the name of the driver Windows 7 was using. The Realtek page is here: http://152.104.125.41/downloads/down...&GetDown=false

3. Unpack the archive, and execute the following in the unpacked directory in a terminal window (exactly as in Dude-PWB-'s instructions):
    sudo make
    sudo su
    make install
    That's it. I actually ran "./wlan0up" after "make install", like Dude-PWB recommends, but I'm not convinced it's necessary. The wireless card worked immediately, without logging out or rebooting. I didn't have to modify any system files to make it load after rebooting either.

Cheers,
    E

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I followed Dude-PWB advice and got hold of the rtl8192e_linux_2.6.0012.1210.2009 file and installed it with the make and make install commands and and wireless device worked after reboot on my N140 notepad running Ubuntu notebook remix. Thanks Dude your help is very much appreciated.
    Today I installed automatic updates with the 2.6.31.19 kernel and the wireless device did not work.
    When I reboot with the 2.6.31.17 kernel the device works perfectly, so just wanted to post this to alert people to possible issues with the new kernel.

Just read moaoci comment above about reinstalling the driver every kernel update, not an ideal situation but at least it works.
    Last edited by jcanini; February 8th, 2010 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Missed moaci comment relating to this issue

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast