Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enabling Visual Effects Issue

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Enabling Visual Effects Issue

So far my experience with Ubuntu and Linux in general had been great, but something that has bugged me for the longest time is that under system>preferences>appearance>visual effects I have been unable to enable even normal visual effects. When I attempt to enable them I see a loading bar for drivers, the screen blinks, and then the error messsage "visual effects cannot be enabled" pops up. Any way I can fix this? Thanks in advance for taking the time to look at my question.

Beans

Re: Enabling Visual Effects Issue

what video card and what version of ubuntu?
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

ATI Radeon HD 3200, ubuntu 9.04

Beans

check System - Admin - Hardware drivers and see if there is a driver listed there that you can enable. the default driver doesn't allow compiz to work
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

ok, driver successfully activated the driver and I restarted the computer and tried to enable the effects again, still no luck...

Beans

ok, are you using the 32bit version or 64bit?

you could try the ati driver
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...5&lang=English

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I feel like such a newb, but I honestly don't know! My computer is using a 64-bit processor but I am not sure I installed a 64-bit ubuntu. Ill try installing that driver.

Beans

open a terminal and run
    Code:
    uname -a
    look and see if it says amd64 in the output. if it is, you need the 64bit version.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I was unable to install the driver because it turns out I installed the 34-bit version of Ubuntu.

Beans

okay, read the installer instructions here

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...cat97-inst.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast