Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to use vga to rca cable in ubuntu

Beans

How to use vga to rca cable in ubuntu

I have an msi wind u120 and have ubuntu on it (not the netbook remix) and it has a vga output and I was wondering...

1.How to make my computer output media through my vga to rca cable
    2.Does vga output audio as well as video.

Thanks
    JacKeown

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: How to use vga to rca cable in ubuntu

The video driver controls the output to the vga connector, so if you don't have the Restricted Driver installed for your video you should start there.
    vga does not output audio, but you should have a line out from your sound card that you can plug an adapter into to get it to a set of rca plugs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

for sound you will need a y-cable, radioshack and newegg carry them. it plugs into the sound port and give normal rca stereo inputs a tv/stereo can use. very handy

to output to RCA hit the cool button on your keyboard that looks like a box, ofen in Blue and ona function key like F4 or whatever.

Note many people buy VGA to RCA cables and they dont work. which is probably going to be your case.

read the reviews on Amazon if you dont believe me. The output has to be able to handle it, and I dont your new netbook will.
    http://www.amazon.com/CONVERTER-S-VI...d_bxgy_e_img_b

Beans

Is there a USB to RCA cable I could buy that would output both audio and video?
    JacKeown

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

no... sorry your out of luck, unless your TV is an HDTV and has VGA input, you will not get video.

sound goes through the sound card

if you want sound and video through one source only one technolgy handles that and its HDMI, many newer desktops and some laptops have, sadely left off Netbooks

Beans

JacKeown

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

It's actually pretty difficult to convert between vga and RCA and typically requires a somewhat expensive converter box. If you have an S-video out (round connector, looks kind of like a female ps/2) that has a much higher likeliehood of actually working (I do that on my laptop with an nvidia card).

I've never actually known of a card that can do vga-out to RCA and so I'm always kind of curious what's actually in those cables. Perhaps I am just naive though.

As for audio, I've always just use a nice stereo plug-to-rca connector from radio shack that plugs into the regular size stereo connector on your compy.
    Sharing Wifi Is Caring Wifi {o,o} Ubuntu Community Docs..
    |)__)
    -”-”-
    O RLY?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

no, that works the other way, like Tv/DVD to computer. If it even works at all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Hospadar View Post
    It's actually pretty difficult to convert between vga and RCA and typically requires a somewhat expensive converter box. If you have an S-video out (round connector, looks kind of like a female ps/2) that has a much higher likeliehood of actually working (I do that on my laptop with an nvidia card).
    he has a intel chipset for a netbook, it doesn't have the an nvdia or ATI graphics card that allows S-Video, he is stuck with VGA.

Beans

ok well all I have is a vga out and a usb drive and an audio out so what is the easiest way to connect this to rca if there is a way?
    JacKeown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast