Page 9 of 90 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: ATi Open drivers are coming of age... :)

Beans

Re: ATi Open drivers are comming of age... :)

Here's an update on the the list of files that we need to prevent from being upgraded to maintain compatibility between catalyst 9.10, & xorg1.7.

The number of files has come down somewhat from the previous list of approx' 60 files that I linked to in a previous post in this thread.

64bit users can use the upgraded lib32-* packages, (I've tested this), if you have a notebook then you will most likely want to add xf86-input-synaptics.

If you were using Arch you would add the following line in /etc/pacman.conf

IgnorePkg = xf86-video-vesa xorg-server xf86-input-evdev xf86-input-keyboard xf86-input-mouse

With the number diminished from 60 to 5 or 6 files that need to be held back from upgrade, this workaround has certainly become far less of a pain to instigate.
    Last edited by handy; November 8th, 2009 at 12:14 AM. Reason: expansion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    xf86-video-radeonhd ?

According to synaptic i only have the radeon driver installed, but now that u mention it i will give the radeonhd a try.

what is the difference (i normally just skip to the binary blobs with installations for compiz).

Do you know which acceleration method is used by default with the radeon drivers (i'm wondering if theres any tweaks i can do for better performance).

One thing to note is that my power consumption has gone up from ~12 watts to 20 watts. this has cut my battery life by two hours. I assume this is down to ati having much more fine grained control over powersettings.

Beans

My understanding is that with the open-source drivers usually the xf86-video-ati is the better, though some people do find the xf86-video-radeonhd better, but they are definitely in a minority.

I have been using until very recently the xf86-video-ati package, & the 2D performance is actually miles better than that provided by the catalyst package. The desktop, scrolling, movies, everything is the snappiest it has ever been.

I just went back to catalyst the other day, because I've been checking out games provided by the DJL games manager (kind of like steam for Linux) & needed better 3D for some of the games.

So moving back to catalyst, has really made it quite clear that even though the catalyst drivers have better to vastly superior 3D quality over the open-source drivers, their 2D is crap.

I'll give you a link to a method for getting the most out of the open-source drivers in Arch, you may learn some that you can apply in Ubuntu (I've not bothered with the following method as yet, as with Arch I expect that there may be too much upkeep, due to the rolling release, I could be wrong of course):

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=79509

If you do manage to get improved results from your endeavours, please post a how-to in the how-to section for other Ubuntu users, I'm sure that quite a few would be very grateful?

Beans

AMD's UVD2-based XvBA Finally Does Something On Linux

For a year now we have been talking about XvBA, which stands for X-Video Bitstream Acceleration and is designed to implement AMD's Unified Video Decoder 2 (UVD2) engine on Linux systems for improving the video decoding and playback process on desktop systems. AMD has been shipping an XvBA library with their ATI Catalyst Linux driver since last year, but they have yet to release any documentation on the XvBA API or any patches to implement the support within any Linux media players. Heck, AMD has not even officially confirmed XvBA with Phoronix being the lone source of information for the past year. Today though, XvBA has finally become useful under Linux. But it is not what you may be thinking...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ar...aapi&num=1

Beans

Beans

kernel .32 is out.

ViOLO has compiled it without KMS & tested it with catalyst. It is of course incompatible.

So those of us who are using catalyst & blocking the upgrade of 5 (or 6 for notebook) packages have to add kernel26 to the list not to be upgraded as well.

Beans
    Hidden!

I just reinstalled kubuntu on my laptop and i'm willing to give the ati open-source drivers a try. Will it work with ATI 4570?

What I would expect of it are that my desktop environment runs fast, that I can enable desktop composition (kwin), and I want to be able to watch my movies/series (divx/dvd/streaming/whatever). Can it deliver the mentioned things?

If yes, I'd like to know where I could download the drivers and also get the latest updates from.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I wish the 9.12 drivers would come of age!

Hopefully this month I would think.
    My wiki page ... ATI 9.11 & Ubuntu 9.10 ... Time Capsule ... Ubuntu in 5 years!
    Brainstorm ideas ...Stop Blank Screen ... Gui Xorg Edit

Ubuntu is reinventing the wheel ... making it round.

Beans
    Hidden!

Stupid AMD has so many people, yet they're unwilling to make propper drivers for linux. Though I'm happy they at least release drivers each month. It would be great if they just supported every kernel update/xorg/etc... ahh... the dreams of an ati user... lol

Beans

@Pasdar: Have a look at some of the links at the bottom of the first post in this thread.

One of them goes into quite some detail (on the Arch forum) for getting the best 3D out of the open-source drivers.

You will be able to find out whether your GPU is well supported, & you'll also find out which open-source package route you need to follow.

As mentioned often, previously, the 2D is superb for most ATi GPUs, via the open-source drivers, glitch free, 3D, is what we are waiting for. AMD are helping by offering technical help where they legally can.

Page 9 of 90 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast