Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starling Netbook for me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Starling Netbook for me?

Thank you for that.

I have a few questions. After reading and watching video reviews, I have again become interested.

1. Wifi. Is there still a big problem with it? Does it work normally now?

2. Hard Drive. Is it *easy* for me to replace it with a solid state? I know it will cost me some money, but I would much rather have a solid state than a hard drive.

3. After some reviews, people say that watching DVD's on it using the Optical Disk Drive that they bought with the Starling works fine and it's great quality. Is this true? What is your experience with it?

4. Ok, so I know most of the Pro's of the Starling, but I want to know the Cons too. What are some downsides to the Starling? The battery is a downside to me, but not a deal breaker. I know that it is super slow booting up, but that is probably an UNR problem, not Sys76, and it will be faster if I can replace the HDD with an SSD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I have a Starling and I love it.

I'll give a go on a couple of these questions...

1. There's no issue with wifi. I'm not having any under UNR. Under Crunchbang, it's another matter, but if you don't change the distro, you should be good.

2. I have no clue, as I don't really need a SSD.

3. I didn't get the drive, but ShowMeGrrl's review really sums that up.

4. The battery is big. It doesn't fit into a skinny case. The trackpad is small. The keyboard is small. The trackpad issue can be fixed with a mouse, and the keyboard issue can be fixed with an external keyboard. There are 3 USB drives, so that won't be a problem.

I think you're wrong on the bootup. Mine boots up in less than a minute.

Amy
    about|blog|twitter
    Machines: custom built desktop (Ubuntu and Windows 7), Macbook Air

Beans
    Distro

1. Alright, thanks!!

2. Ok. thanks. I don't really need one. Just curious.

3. Alright, thanks.

4. The keyboard isn't really a big problem for me. It's good enough for me. The track pad is more of a problem, but I am willing to invest $15 into a mouse. And the case doesn't matter. When taking it with me, I can just carry it as is, and for school I would just toss it into my backpack.

Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro

can anyone else answer this as well?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I will also take a crack at it.

1. I agree with gamerchick02, with the new driver update the wifi works very well. According to thomasaaron, the S76 rep. Starlings are now shipping with the improved driver.

2. This one is a con. The hardware is not designed for user upgrades of either RAM or HDD. Opening up the case to do so will void the warranty.

3. I did not buy the optical drive with my Starling so I can't answer that question. I can only comment that the LG drive I do have does not do a very good job of DVD playback. In fact, it freezes and will not play them. The one from System 76 may perform better. Hopefully, another Starling user will comment.

4. The battery is a bit big, and it does raise the back of the netbook up a bit. But it's the big battery, (and the Atom processor,) that contributes to the long battery life between charges. Booting is also relatively fast in my experience as well, usually about a minute.

The biggest con for me is not really a fair criticism but I'll mention it anyway. I like to test different distros a lot. That is not a problem with most of my laptops and my ASUS netbook. Unfortunately, the Starling comes with a wireless card that is not yet well supported by other Linux distros, so in order to have reliable wireless functionality, I need to stay with Ubuntu.

Bottom line, I really like my Starling, I am glad I bought it, would do it again if I had to. It really is an improvement over my ASUS 900HA. Hope this helps.

Joe

Beans
    Distro

Alright, thanks! =]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12