Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starling Netbook for me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Starling Netbook for me?

I am thinking about selling my Acer Aspire 4730 because of all the problems I've had. And I was thinking about buying a Starling Netbook. Opinions?

What I need my "Laptop" for:

Browsing the Web
    Instant Messaging
    School (Take that as using Open Office and the internet alot)
    I want it to be fast. I'm not sure if the processor speed is good enough for me, but I don't know. It might be a faster computer than I think

And, I *might* play some movies on there, is the screen big enough? Can it handle movies? What is a good External Optical Drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Starling Netbook for me?

I am an early adopter of netbooks. The Starling is a very well built computer. It initially had some wireless issues which were largely resolved with a driver update. To answer your specific questions:

"Browsing the Web": Does it very well.

"Instant Messaging": Haven't tried it, but it should work well.

"School (Take that as using Open Office and the internet alot)": Also should be very satisfactory.

"I want it to be fast. I'm not sure if the processor speed is good enough for me, but I don't know. It might be a faster computer than I think": This depends on the applications you intend to run. Any application that is either CPU/GPU intensive will run more slowly on a netbook than a computer with a more powerful CPU/GPU installed. So, running something like Blender or Flight Gear may prove to be unsatisfactory.

"And, I *might* play some movies on there, is the screen big enough? Can it handle movies? What is a good External Optical Drive?": I find playing DVD's from a USB optical drive unsatisfactory. Playback is choppy and virtually unviewable. Now I did not buy the optical drive that System 76 offered for sale, but used an LG drive I already had. So performance on the drive System 76 sells may vary. To be blunt, a netbook was never designed to play back DVD's. It was designed to surf the web. It does, however playback steaming videos, like those from YouTube very well.

So is a Starling for you? That really depends on what you plan to use it for. In my opinion, if you want to run CPU/GPU intensive applications, or if you need to connect to "challenging" i.e. low signal strength wireless access points, or if you want to routinely watch DVD's on your computer, then you will be better served by buying a conventional laptop. I use a Darter Ultra from System 76 as my main travel computer and an older first generation Darter as my desktop replacement. Hope that this helps.

Joe

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by XKCD64 View Post
    School (Take that as using Open Office and the internet alot)
    No. The Starling is not an appropriate choice for you. For school -- unless you are going for beauty school, auto-mechanics, HVAC, or the like -- and I am in NO WAY denigrating any of those choices! -- you will need a more capable notebook/laptop. Check out the Darter or Gazelle. Something like those might be just the thing for you.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans
    Distro

Meh, it's just high school. So word processor etc.

Just Writer, Impress, and Calc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't think it will quite fit your needs. The screen resolution is very low, so working win Writer may be a quite a pain with non-stop scrolling.
    Busques ajuda? Comença pel wiki de l'equip català!

Beans

I am a college student. I think if netbooks actually played back ALL 720P video smoothly, a netbook is great. My experience with netbooks (assuming ripped or dl'd media, physical media is outdated) is that they make great media player for standard def, and hit or miss players for 720P.

Great for notes/word processing, can be a little slow on the web browsing, at least with lots of tabs open, and fine for music/chatting.

2-D games are fine, too. No FPS type games, though.

Anyhow, I have a 6-cell aspire one, it's great for classes and travelling, but don't use it for much besides. (have a desktop).

Beans
    Distro

Alright, thanks!

I plan on using it as my main computer. But all I do is.... Firefox, Writer, Impress, Calc, GIMP, OOO Draw, some of the pre installed 2D games, and possibly some movies. IDK about the last one. Is a 10" screen going to cut it? Is the processor good enough?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If you have not yet worked/played with a 10 inch screen, I strongly recommend that you do so before you buy a Starling. To my tastes, working on a ten inch screen for a prolonged (>one hour) period of typing is very tiring. I also find viewing movies on a 10 inch screen not as satisfying compared to a 12 or 13 inch screen. I prefer a larger screen for long stretches at the computer. Maybe its just my middle aged eyes.

The Starling's processor is more than adequate for streaming videos. I can watch Youtube videos without problem. As I may have mentioned earlier, watching a DVD with a USB optical drive was very problematic. I have not tried watching movies saved to my hard drive at full screen size. That would be a good test of the hardware. Maybe one of the other Starling user's can comment. Once I get home tonight, I will try playing a movie from the HD. I will post back here my results.

Joe

Beans
    Distro

Thanks guys, I think I will instead buy a Lenovo IdeaPad Y550 - 418648U. It looks really sleek and the specs are sweet. It's on sale, and I think it's everything that I need. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I bought a Starling in June. See my full review at:

http://tinyurl.com/lkexet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast