Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus T91 linux installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Asus T91 linux installation

I have been considering buying the T91 but was wondering if anyone has successfully installed linux on it. If I bought it would the touchscreen work or would I be stuck with Windows?

Beans

Re: Asus T91 linux installation

You can check eeeuser forums.
    Also I have found this blog http://linux-t91.blogspot.com/

Beans

Installed Moblin successfully but failed to boot it.
    Installed Ubuntu Jaunty successfully. Needed to install a few additional packages. There is still a few issue. The bigger one is a annoying habit : it freezes near every 20 minutes.

Beans

From what I heard, there has been some success with it, but unless you really want to muck in the drivers, it's not recommended for end users. But that's Linux for you...

@Mizukusai: What works and what doesn't with the T91? I heard that wireless was possible, but a hassle. I've also heard rumors of multitouch, but squat about the "rotate" feature.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Got it up and running on my new T91, it's all a bit slow at first, doesn't find the correct display and wireless drivers by default, but now I have it running real good and fast thanks to a friendly website.

http://www.hilbig.id.au/t91/index.html

--edit, to keep things were we can find them
    Wireless
    -Activate Backport repositories either in Synaptic or by removing the # in /etc/apt/sources.list
    -sudo apt-get update
    -sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-jaunty
    -reboot

Graphics Driver
    -add to /etc/apt/sources.list
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
    -sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys C6598A30
    -sudo apt-get install poulsbo-driver-2d poulsbo-driver-3d psb-firmware

..and this (on ever kernel update)
    -sudo apt-get install psb-kernel-source
    -sudo apt-get install psb-kernel-source

--end edit

I'm still looking for a way to get the webcam working
    Last edited by Leed; August 30th, 2009 at 09:19 AM.

Beans

Wink Re: Asus T91 linux installation

What does not work :

• Compiz (Never mind. I'm using netbook remix)
    • The "rotate" button below the screen. Actually, maybe it works but i don't know how to catch it.
    • stability. The OS freezes often, randomly.
    • Moblin does not boot as all. But Ubuntu does.
    • the graphic driver perfs are bad
    • webcom is cheese. But ok in Skype (i heard)

What does work : everything else

• touchscreen
    • easystroke (great soft !!!)
    • rotate screen from command-line (and so from easystroke actions as well)
    • sound
    • network

Here are some touchscreen softwares, I have tested so far :

• gournal
    • cellwriter
    • easystroke (but adding exceptions fails: )
    • The gimp (I know it is not dedicated to touchscreens but it is funny to draw !)

I'm looking for a media player with mouse gesture. VLC does not work fine in UNR.

Beans
    Distro

Yes I had some random crashes too, not that many, it's annoying but hey it reboots fast. Hope that goes away after a few updates. I generally have the impression the crashes have something to do with the touchscreen.

Compiz-fusion does work, I wouldn't recommend it on the standard UNR Interface/menu, when using scale to change windows the windows flickers while zooming into place. However if you change the settings to classic Ubuntu it works great.
    It's easy to get it working, System->Appearance>Visual Effects .. and set it to extra. I also recommend using compizconfig-settings-manager.

of course it will only work if you got the display drivers working correctly, check the link I posted before.

Could you please give me some details on the screen rotation feature? Maybe we can get that button working somehow.

Also anything on how to get that webcam working.

Beans

I'm currently using the driven mentionned in your link. However, the perfs are not really good.
    I tried to leave the netbook "alone" with a batch running. It froze as well.
    I'll try the classic desktop with compiz. I'm looking forward to rotate the cube with my finger

To rotate the screen, either use the gui, or the command
    xrandr -o [left|right|inverted|normal]

I read from french forum that webcam is ok with skype. I don't know anything more for now. I'll check if I can get more information.

It would be great if you manage to capture the signal sent by the button below the screen. xev does not see anything.

I'll also try to disable the touch screen, just to be sure if it is the source of the "freeze".

Beans
    Distro

How do you realize the display performance is not good? Seems ok to me, but I'd always enjoy better (it's definitely better than without that driver and better than the performance windows achieves)

I'll get Skype installed once I'm back from work, see if it makes a difference.

About the display rotation, I'll try using the xev command to track the signal of the button. Just found some howto here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1218221.html

We could make a rotating script that executes the xandr commands on launch, then assign the button to it in metacity or compiz. All still a little theory, but it should work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Leed View Post
    How do you realize the display performance is not good? Seems ok to me, but I'd always enjoy better (it's definitely better than without that driver and better than the performance windows achieves)

I'll get Skype installed once I'm back from work, see if it makes a difference.

About the display rotation, I'll try using the xev command to track the signal of the button. Just found some howto here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1218221.html

We could make a rotating script that executes the xandr commands on launch, then assign the button to it in metacity or compiz. All still a little theory, but it should work.
    * When I pick a window and move it, the movement is a bit jerky. I'll try with compiz. Like you, I'm @work and my Owl (yes, it is the name of the T91) cannot connect to the internet from here.
    * Sure, the script with xrandr would be easy, once the signal of the button is captured.

Another point, I'm thinking of hacking a bit the netbook, adding him a 3G card. What do you think ?

EDIT : a bit jerky instead of "not fluent". I still need to pratice my english.
    Last edited by Mizukusai; August 28th, 2009 at 03:02 PM.

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast