Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus T91 linux installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Asus T91 linux installation

I didn't have a crash for quite a while either, that's mainly why I posted the changes for xorg.conf. I know it's nothing trivial, but I can't find anything else to blame the crashes on. I haven't changed that much. But on the other hand, I haven't been using the netbook that much in the last few days.

What makes sense in this respect to is, it seems that it was only the X server that froze. All windows and menus stopped responding. The mouse pointer and the REISUB method still worked.

Beans

Bad news.
    My T91 does boot any more. When I turn it on, the "ON" and "Wifi" Leds are on, but no activity at all :
    black screen, no hd activity.
    And I need to press "off" for 4 sec to turn it off.
    I tried to empty to battery. no success.
    I reseted it using the inside button, no success.

I can still the "insurance" (tell me correct word, please) but I bought the laptop by internet. I don't want to send it back, and wait...

Do you have any idea ?

Beans
    Distro

Thats not good, been enjoying your help in this thread.

Does the BIOS still work? By default it uses bootboost, a tiny partition on the HDD that skips the bios screen. Just hit esc continuously when switching on. You may only have a broken MBR.

Is it only a blank screen, or is there a cursor in the top left? Can you boot it from a USB stick?

I think the Reset button only sends out a shutdown signal (to switch the pc off)

-normally, if a hdd can't be found or read, you should get a error message
    -If the screen wouldn't be working, you should still see hdd activity
    -You could try opening the back module where the memory is, perhaps something has come loose in there...

Other than that you shouldn't open anything as long as you still have warrany/guarantee, else you can't send it back.

Beans

Hi!
    Very interesting thread
    Has anyone here been able to fix the problem of the microphone not working with Skype?
    Thanks in advance.

Beans

No, no bios. Actually, nothing at all.
    The screen, the HD led stay off. Except for the "power" and the "Wifi" leds, there is seem to be no life at all in this netbook.

This is definitely a hardware issue. (CPU meltdown, or motherboard ...)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xyzo View Post
    Has anyone here been able to fix the problem of the microphone not working with Skype?
    davidjany from the EeeUser forum may have a solution, haven't got a chance to try it out myself, but it apparently works for him:
    http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=73432
    (on your "Which distro for my T91 thread")

Beans
    Distro

interesting, will have to have a little thinking if I should take that step. I hate moving away from the Repositories and Karmic will be released in a little more than a month.

Does anyone know what ALSA version karmic uses, and if it fits the T91?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mizukusai View Post
    No, no bios. Actually, nothing at all.
    The screen, the HD led stay off. Except for the "power" and the "Wifi" leds, there is seem to be no life at all in this netbook.

This is definitely a hardware issue. (CPU meltdown, or motherboard ...)
    I'm sending it back to Asus for repair.
    I'm "netbook-less".

This will give me time to "play" with gnome notifications on my xbmc-box.

Beans

Just to see what will happen, I've inserted a defective sd card in my netbook. Ubuntu hanged maybe 10 minutes later. After rebooting the bios didn't went on - it was just as Mizukusai has described, only WIFI and Power led were on.

I'm guessing you have tried to run your netbook without the memory card, so maybe the same issue might happen if the ssd is broken?

Beans

Oh. I'm sorry the same issue happened to someone else.
    The only SD card I'm using was a 16 Go shipped with the laptop, and I've inserted it in the "permanent" slot (on the left side). The dummy sd card initially inserted in the front slot is still in there.
    I did not insert or eject any of them since the installation. And, of course, I tried to boot without the SD card. Same problem.
    So, I don't think the defective SD card may be a good clue.
    But to sure of that, I'll try to read it from another SD card reader, tonight. (It's 9AM here)

I can't think the SSD is the source if the problem as well. If the SSD ( the hard drive) was broken, the PC would still boot, show me the bios, and fail to load the OS. But here, there is no activity at all. My guess is CPU or motherboard.

I'm shipping the netbook tonight back to Asus, following their process.

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast