Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus T91 linux installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Asus T91 linux installation

I'm afraid so Mizukusai

having low resolution puts me off a little, but still my T91 never worked as well, for my needs that is.

The poulsbo drivers in jaunty keept freezing up the pc, no good.
    Without the driver Jaunty UNR was simply too slow to use.

In the out of the box state lucid runs pretty well. Of course I'm hoping that some miracle will happen that gets the gma500 working in lucid, that better resolution and animations that are a little smoother would be nice.
    But the as is situation is not that bad, boots up in a few seconds, no freezes and the new unr menu is totally fun and touchscreen friendly. For me it is worth the price of missing that driver. Performance is really not perfect but still pretty good, not at all comparable with Jaunty's crappy state without driver.

Beans

Did try to get the iegd drivers ? So far, I can't get my hands on it.
    I heard someone manage to make moblin work on a GMA500.
    There's still hope.

Beans
    Distro

I've so far found no resource claiming it to work on xorg 1.7, only warnings that it will not work and rumors that the IEGD still contains the old drivers.

Makes me hate myself for not knowing how to write my own driver

Beans

Anyone find psb drivers for lynx yet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pinkflamingo8806 View Post
    Anyone find psb drivers for lynx yet?
    Theres another thread trying to get psb/gma500 working on Ubuntu. It's not there yet but seems closeish.

The Mandrivia people got it working on Xserver 1.7

So far there seems to be a hack to fix the resolution using non-psb drivers, but performance will of course be crap (or crappier). Add it to /etc/grub.d/40-custom:
    Code:
    insmod 915resolution
    915resolution 5c 1024 600
    set gfxmode=1024x600
    I haven't tried it on the T91 yet.

There is also still some hope that we will see working drivers, reportedly Intel are working on them, they are pushing their own Linux platform after all (unless the current drives we have are those). Another post with quake video.

The main issue right now might be the 2.6.33 backported DRI code that ended up in the 2.6.32 kernel shipped with Ubuntu.
    Last edited by H3g3m0n; May 3rd, 2010 at 08:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I've just tried your code on my T91 today and it works great.

You'll also need to edit /etc/default/grub and add a line with "GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x600" and then run "update-grub". Reboot and resolution is good. Thanks to Alfrenovsky http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...229345&page=50

So far the T91 in lucid seems more performant on web 2.0 pages like facebook etc than it was in jaunty with the psb drivers. Also the new Netbook release menu is really cool. Last but not least, all is stable.

I can't wait to see how well lucid runs once someone gets a driver working or intel provides one.

Two other issues still bother me
    1. Can't find a way to calibrate the touchscreen
    2. Can't rotate the screen (don't know if vesa supports this)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Leed View Post
    Two other issues still bother me
    1. Can't find a way to calibrate the touchscreen
    2. Can't rotate the screen (don't know if vesa supports this)
    There is a 'calibrate_touchscreen' command, as far as I know it works fine on the T91, although on the T91MT there are issues but you can edit the .fdi file and but in some basic offsets by hand. Also I noticed that was a calibrate touchscreen option on the netbook eddition, but I can't find it anymore (might have been when I was trying 10.04 on a system with a touchscreen, right now I only have 9.10 and a vitualized 10.04).

Try 'xrandr -o left' and see if that works.

Also hows basic non video playback under the nonpsb drivers? YouTube?

I might update if the rotate and basic video works since the PSB acceleration was so crap that it was hardly worth it (still wondering if I didn't set it up right).

Beans
    Distro

Just noticed that the guys over at the other thread seem to have just gotten the drivers working. No install packages yet as they are still building from source but it should be soon now ☺

Beans
    Distro

All I can find is a 'calibrate_ppa' which is surely not the same thing... do you know what package your command comes with?

the 'xrandr -o left' command doesn't work in Vesa, worked pretty well in the previous ubuntu with psb.

Video Playback is, well sometimes ok, depending on the size you get lags, forget HD Videos. Youtube standard videos can be watched, you won't miss anything but it is not as smooth as on a desktop or notebook. But that wasn't really different with the psb driver.

As already stated, web 2.0 pages like facebook are clearly better than with the psb. The Netbook remix Interface feels a bit like a cross between iphone and compiz-fusion (nice smooth animations, without compiz actually running), menu animation performance could still be a little bit better, but is all in all pretty nice.

forget 3D accelerated apps, they are slow.

...all in all, for what I care Vesa in Lucid clearly is better than psb in Jaunty.

I've also been following the other thread over the last few days, looks really exciting. If those guys get that thing working, that graphics boost would turn my t91 into a real cool speedy devil.

Beans
    Distro

Minor disappointment on the train this morning, wanted to watch a video but the headphones jack doesn't work. Kinda strange, because the internal speakers have no problem at all and even the microphone works.

Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast