Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus T91 linux installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: Asus T91 linux installation

That's great Scott! I also remembered another ASUS forum that helped me a lot...
    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us
    (I also posted some findings there).

I retried evtest and I now get the same file descriptor error - so forget that for now. I think maybe it came from the forum above. There is a French programmer there who is working on multi-touch for the screen.

I do have multi touch for my mouse pad (not screen). I also now have most buttons working except Brightness Fn+F4 (only Dimming - Fn+F3) but have not dug into why as yet. I'll see what else I can dig up for you, to help you along... Off to have a look.

EDIT: one quick update - If you haven't already been there try http://www.ced-network.net/blog/2009...ntu-904jaunty/ it was for Jaunty but a lot is still good I think
    Last edited by kgingeri; March 5th, 2010 at 04:45 AM. Reason: updated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Not a lot other than from forums I've listed, Scott.

The rotate button is listed in the Ce.D Blog:
    Set /etc/acpi/events/asus-rotate-t91 to read...
    Code:
    event=hotkey (ATKD|HOTK) 0000007b
    action=/etc/acpi/rotatescreen.sh
    Here is a line from my latest Grub conf file - you edit the file in /etc/default/grub and then run 'update-grub' - all as root (or sudo) of course. I think this got me the Fn+F3 dimming key working, increased video speed, SSD HD setting etc:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nosplash mem=786mb pciehp.pciehp_force=1 pciehp.pciehp_poll_mode=1 elevator=noop acpi_backlight=vendor"
    I'm sure there are others but that's all I'm finding right now.

EDIT: Oh, and I had looked into the Brightness key - it is not returning any event info (run 'xev' in a terminal, un-maximize it and you'll get X event info for everything!) - so until someone figures that out, it won't work.

EDIT2: Almost forgot about the mouse/touch pad multi touch... I have the two attached files in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/ - strip off the ".txt" of course. HOWEVER if you use them then do not use any mouse deinitions in your xorg.conf - I know it can be done that way also but it should be either or NOT BOTH or X can get very confusing!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kgingeri; March 5th, 2010 at 05:36 AM. Reason: additional info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm back on the bandwagon after being out of action for a month. Dropped my t91 and it would light the power LED and do nothing else. Eventually after pulling everything apart and putting it back together it works again. Some cable must have worked loose in the drop.

Anyway, kgingeri could you possible explain to me the reasons for "mem=786mb" and "elevator=noop" in your grub config? I am interested to learn what these do.

EDIT: Just tried my brightness keys after following your grub conf. BOTH my brightness keys work, although it only lets me increase brightness to 50%. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT2: Actually, it only lets me increase the brightness back to where it was. If it gets set (somehow) lower than 50% then I can't increase it beyond that. Any ideas?

EDIT3: Okay, both brightness up and brightness down are effective for a limited range of changes around the current setting. So if I type xrandr --output LVDS0 --set BACKLIGHT 100 I can only bring the brightness down a little. From 50 I can go down a little and up a little. The exact amounts seem a little bit random. (By the way, it's "output LVDS[zero]" not the letter "o")
    Last edited by DrPotoroo; March 5th, 2010 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Additional info

Beans

Rotation is working, thank you very much. Nothing yet on multitouch touchpad, but I just started.

EDIT: ISSUE 1 RESOLVED. #2 is less important.
    1. Wireless isn't working at all. ifconfig wlan0 up results in SIOCSIFFLAGS: Unknown error 132. Fn-F2 seems to have no effect. I've installed the backports-modules-karmic package. Any thoughts on what to try next? FIXED

2. When I boot w/a USB mouse attached, my touchscreen comes up as event 6. W/o the mouse, event 5. Is there a way to handle this in xorg.conf (multiple display entries?) or just make sure the usb mouse is disconnected when booting?

Scott
    Last edited by scottfranklin; March 5th, 2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Fixed first problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by DrPotoroo View Post
    I'm back on the bandwagon after being out of action for a month. Dropped my t91 and it would light the power LED and do nothing else. Eventually after pulling everything apart and putting it back together it works again. Some cable must have worked loose in the drop.

Anyway, kgingeri could you possible explain to me the reasons for "mem=786mb" and "elevator=noop" in your grub config? I am interested to learn what these do.

EDIT2: Actually, it only lets me increase the brightness back to where it was. If it gets set (somehow) lower than 50% then I can't increase it beyond that. Any ideas?

EDIT3: Okay, both brightness up and brightness down are effective for a limited range of changes around the current setting. So if I type xrandr --output LVDS0 --set BACKLIGHT 100 I can only bring the brightness down a little. From 50 I can go down a little and up a little. The exact amounts seem a little bit random. (By the way, it's "output LVDS[zero]" not the letter "o")
    Yes, the mem=786mb is to reserve video ram (I only have 2 gig) - the elevator=noop may not be necesarry if you are running ext4 (which is SSD friendly) but if you are not running a hardrive but a SSD solid-state drive, then it is suppose to help save the drive.

You have better response with brightness key then I did. I would suggest keeping the randr command handy (I would have suggested it as I use it if I unplug A/C and can't get brightness up or down when running on battery)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by scottfranklin View Post
    Rotation is working, thank you very much. Nothing yet on multitouch touchpad, but I just started.

EDIT: ISSUE 1 RESOLVED. #2 is less important.
    1. Wireless isn't working at all. ifconfig wlan0 up results in SIOCSIFFLAGS: Unknown error 132. Fn-F2 seems to have no effect. I've installed the backports-modules-karmic package. Any thoughts on what to try next? FIXED

2. When I boot w/a USB mouse attached, my touchscreen comes up as event 6. W/o the mouse, event 5. Is there a way to handle this in xorg.conf (multiple display entries?) or just make sure the usb mouse is disconnected when booting?

Scott
    No Scott I don't worry about have my USB mouse plugged or not. The udev file should takes care of it, as it sets up a devices based on /proc/bus/input/devices. You are correct tho, in that the event device will change numbers. I attached my udev file in a previous post.

Glad stuff is starting to work for you. There has been some reports of correcting the wireless always off on reboot by installing back-ports, but it has worked for me yet I always need to tap the Fn-F2 to bring up wireless after a reboot.
    Links for such are here (for a BCM wireless card - no ASUS T91) and here - can't find the other backports/blacklist one right now.

Beans

Yeah, progress comes slowly. I must have missed the udev file; thanks for the pointer.

I can live w/Fn-F2 after booting. It's not ideal, but manageable.

Do you have any issues resuming from suspend? Sometimes it works; sometimes not. It may be related to wireless; still trying to track that down.

When you connect to an external monitor, do you just use the detect displays from System setting?

scott

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Yeah, progress comes slowly. I must have missed the udev file; thanks for the pointer.

I can live w/Fn-F2 after booting. It's not ideal, but manageable.

Do you have any issues resuming from suspend? Sometimes it works; sometimes not. It may be related to wireless; still trying to track that down.

When you connect to an external monitor, do you just use the detect displays from System setting?

scott
    Yeah, suspend is not working for me yet either.

I do use the detect displays and it works fine. DO NOTE that you'll need the virtual desktop settings in xorg.conf - it's at home and I'm at work right now - I think it is "virtual 2048 2048" in the server section - not sure.

Beans

Thanks for the quick replies. I wonder if the wireless is interfering w/suspend. I'll try disabling wireless before suspending and see if that helps. Are you able to hibernate w/o a problem?

Just noticed another "bug". I was using xournal to annotate a .pdf (one of the main uses for me). Works great in landscape mode, but when I rotate the screen to portrait all of a sudden the annotations are offset by 1-2 inches from the pen. Weird, since it's only in the annotation; selecting menus, etc... seems unaffected.

Scott

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Thanks for the quick replies. I wonder if the wireless is interfering w/suspend. I'll try disabling wireless before suspending and see if that helps. Are you able to hibernate w/o a problem?

Just noticed another "bug". I was using xournal to annotate a .pdf (one of the main uses for me). Works great in landscape mode, but when I rotate the screen to portrait all of a sudden the annotations are offset by 1-2 inches from the pen. Weird, since it's only in the annotation; selecting menus, etc... seems unaffected.

Scott
    Ha - not something I've tried in xournal yet I love xournal also - it's the main reason I wanted and have this machine I do use it to sketch/diagram in both landscape and portrait as well tho, without problems.

Good thought on suspend - it could be wireless related! I'm not sure I've tried hibernate, I usually only use suspend.

Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast