Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus T91 linux installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Asus T91 linux installation

For anyone wanting to get the Asus T91 working i have made step by step guides on my blog.

Fix Wireless Dropouts:
    http://setupguides.blogspot.com/2009...-for-asus.html

Fix Screen Resolution
    http://setupguides.blogspot.com/2009...-asus-eee.html

Touchscreen
    http://setupguides.blogspot.com/2009...uchscreen.html

Enabling Compiz
    http://setupguides.blogspot.com/2009...-asus-eee.html

Note: after enabling compiz some hd video is jerky, if you turn off compiz it works very smoothly, if anyone finds a solution to this please let me know. If i figure it out i'll make another blog post

Hope this helps, i'm really liking my new T91 and Karmic.

EDIT:upgrade to 2.6.31-16-generic before installing the psb modules
    Last edited by jamespcole; December 26th, 2009 at 04:33 PM.

Beans

Thanks, but you offer nothing new. We already had these.
    And even more, actually.

Netbook-naucher freezes after hibernate/suspend. Do you have anything about that ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Mizukusai View Post
    Thanks, but you offer nothing new. We already had these.
    And even more, actually.

Netbook-naucher freezes after hibernate/suspend. Do you have anything about that ?
    Yeah i know, but i couldn't find a concise step by step guide for these things(let me know if there is one and i'll put up a link) figured i'd save people having to read through 15 pages of posts to get the basics working(and also so i don't need to next time i do a re-install)

not sure about the hibernate and suspend, i'll have to suss it out. Have you had any luck getting video to play smoothly under compiz? I'm not really fussed about having suspend and hibernate but the poor video playback is really annoying. So if you make any progress let me know.

Beans

Anyone still having those random freezes? I get them in the middle of class when I'm taking notes using Xournal. I'm running UNR Karmic.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

@my t91mt issue, ASUS appears unwilling to share either hardware specs or driver specs with anyone. I personally tried to get information from them and was called at 6am - though I had requested to receive an email - that the driver was proprietary, which was obvious before I had made the effort of contacting them.

In any event hopefully there's a solution.

@provs: t91 yes, t91mt NOOO

to be fare everything on the t91mt works except the touchscreen ( and hibernation issues like t91).

Quote Originally Posted by proverbs308 View Post
    I have been considering buying the T91 but was wondering if anyone has successfully installed linux on it. If I bought it would the touchscreen work or would I be stuck with Windows?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: touchscreen configuration:
    Hey, your directions for calibrating the touchscreen were fantastic. I have been trying to calibrate my t91 ever since I got it. I am running eeebuntu 3.0 (base) which is a form of Jaunty (not Karmic) so I wasn't sure it would work. I do have the jaunty-backports installed but I can't seem to get any screen resolution other than 800x600 but it worked fine anyway.

Some other notes: Following the directions, I ran the stylus all around the edge of the screen but the little Xs never did turn red. Nevertheless, I tapped on the centre of each one, beginning in the top row, going L---> R, then the mid-row, then the bottom. I did this quite quickly. You really have to be careful that the side of your hand does not touch the screen while you're doing this. Once I had tapped the last X, the utility closed & I ran the startx command. When I returned to the X environment, the screen calibration was RIGHT ON for the first time!!! Thanks a lot.
    Now, if only I could get the wireless running properly...

Beans
    Hidden!

I got an error message when attempting to build the ndiswrapper module. Can you say more about how you got it to work?

TIA

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bennett View Post
    I got an error message when attempting to build the ndiswrapper module. Can you say more about how you got it to work?

TIA
    You may want to use Wicd instead, I was having all kinds of problems with wireless when I was using NetworkManager with the normal driver, so I installed Wicd instead and it fixed everything.

Beans

Anyone tried Jolicloud pre-beta? Its based on Jaunty UNR and the site lists the T91 as a supported model, the touchscreen works - without the evtouch drive - but I'm not sure how to calibrate it, any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!

I have been trying wicd, then back to network-manager, back & forth with lousy results. The ath9k driver works in a so-so way with network-manager but I have to be almost sitting on top of the router to get decent wireless speed. I have read that ndiswrapper is a better wireless driver but can't get it to load (modprobe ndiswrapper gives all sorts of error messages no matter which directions I follow). I have been scratching away at this for a month. Can you tell me which driver you are using? Whether the wifi works as well as it does in windows?
    Thanks a lot for your help.

Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast