Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus T91 linux installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Asus T91 linux installation

Yeah, that was a good post. I tried the live session in Jaunty (desktop edition) and (as I anticipated) the WLAN didn't work, however the touch screen did work (though it wasn't calibrated). I just tried Karmic RC UNR and the WLAN works out of the box (w00t) but no touch screen. Will touch screen be enabled once the graphics are properly configured? Also will the native screen resolution be resolved once configured? Are there any issues with the UNR on this netbook? I'm going to wait for release to install Karmic, so I'll just be using the live session on the t91 until then.

Say, is there any reason I have to keep Windows XP on that machine? I checked and my t91 already has the latest BIOS version (I can't see them updating the BIOS for this machine anymore seeing as the BIOS works fine and the Multi Touch t91 will be coming soon, I've not once heard of BIOS issues with Ubuntu and guess I could install BIOS updates via FreeDOS or Windows PE if need be).
    My LAMPP: http://delltuxlamp.no-ip.org
    The Ubuntu install disc I use on my Everex StepNote laptop: http://www.fitzenreiter.de/averatec/index-e.htm
    Get dropbox!

Beans

Touchscreen works just fine, once the xserver-xorg-input-evtouch is installed.
    The only reason to keep Windows, is that you "want" it

Last Update : I have no more crash at all since upgrading to Karmic.
    EEEbuntu developper might have said that Ubuntu sucks, but it works.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mizukusai View Post
    Touchscreen works just fine, once the xserver-xorg-input-evtouch is installed.
    The only reason to keep Windows, is that you "want" it

Last Update : I have no more crash at all since upgrading to Karmic.
    EEEbuntu developer might have said that Ubuntu sucks, but it works.
    No crashes, at all? Are you using the config from my post? Or a different one? Also, which Ubuntu version are you using - UNR, Desktop or something else? I've been really busy lately, but I'll try it first change I get.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Not that I want windows, I mean after reading the eee pc user forum, seems like the XP OEM is heavily bloated, and that I'd be better off installing XP or se7en retail and then installing the drivers myself than using the XP Home OEM...not that I'd want to do this, as I do want a Linux-only t91.

Still some questions though...
    - In the live session I get an 800x600 resolution (Karmic RC UNR) and no touch screen. Will the proper resolution be fixed automatically once the drivers are correctly installed? Is there a reason UNR doesn't ship with xserver-xorg-input-evtouch?
    - Are you using/have you tried the UNR and if so, are there any issues with the netbook remix on the t91?
    The Ubuntu install disc I use on my Everex StepNote laptop: http://www.fitzenreiter.de/averatec/index-e.htm
    Get dropbox!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Just did the update to the 16 Kernel, it's not enough to just repatch the kernel via
    sudo apt-get install psb-kernel-source

you'll need to
    sudo apt-get remove psb-kernel-source

first

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Say, what filesystems do you Karmic users use on the t91?

I am concerned, because AFAIK SSD's cannot handle filesystems with file journaling. I know ext2 works, but it's so much slower than ext4. Has anyone tried ext4 on the t91's SSD, and ran the updates via the update manager or synaptic (including kernel updates) flawlessly? Are there any ways of using ext4 without file journaling via parameters or anything like that? I'd really appreciate a heads up on which filesystem to use.
    Get dropbox!

Beans

Arrow Re: Asus T91 linux installation

Quote Originally Posted by Leed View Post
    Just did the update to the 16 Kernel, it's not enough to just repatch the kernel via
    sudo apt-get install psb-kernel-source

you'll need to
    sudo apt-get remove psb-kernel-source

first
    My own experience. This was enough to make -16 kernel working well on my T91:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure psb-kernel-source
    HTH.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kapitän Rotbart View Post
    Say, what filesystems do you Karmic users use on the t91?

I am concerned, because AFAIK SSD's cannot handle filesystems with file journaling. I know ext2 works, but it's so much slower than ext4. Has anyone tried ext4 on the t91's SSD, and ran the updates via the update manager or synaptic (including kernel updates) flawlessly? Are there any ways of using ext4 without file journaling via parameters or anything like that? I'd really appreciate a heads up on which filesystem to use.
    It's ok here with ext4.
    Can you be more specific about the issue on SSD with ext4 ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but here's the deal...

Back when I installed Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy (ubuntu-eee, actually...now known as EasyPeasy) on an Acer Aspire One (pretty cool netbook, btw...I didn't want it because I wanted to wait for a touchscreen netbook to come along, but it has two SD memory card readers and it's really affordable), I tried first installing it on a ReiserFS filesystem (it was recommended on some website for some reason). I know ReiserFS is by no means a new filesystem, but I gave it a try. The install itself would be fine, but once I'd run the updates and restart, the OS wouldn't load and it claimed that the SSD was corrupt. Took me a while to figure out that the filesystem was the issue. I'd have to reformat using the Limpus recovery disc each time (Limpus uses ext2). Eventually I just used ext2 and everything worked fine. I just installed Karmic RC on that AA1 using ext2 and it works flawlessly, though I'd love to use ext4 if it'll be just as reliable plus faster.

I don't have a recovery disc for the t91 (just that disc that came with it which I believe has the XP drivers), so I don't want to risk a repeat of the experience I had with a journaling filesystem on SSD. If you say you've installed Karmic on ext4, ran the updates, restarted the t91 and everything went flawless, then I'll do it

Also, do y'all set up a SWAP partition on the t91? I have upgraded mine to 2GB RAM so I think 4GB SWAP would be a little much for an SSD of 16GB. Any thoughts?
    Get dropbox!

Beans

Karmic comes out tomorrow,(w00t) for anyone who has used karmic, would you recommend, Ubuntu UNR or Desktop? Has anyone had any problems with Xorg crashing when using the touchscreen? And if so, what's in your xorg.conf?

Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast