Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus T91 linux installation

Beans

Re: Asus T91 linux installation

With this option off, the X does not crash anymore because the session does not completly start. It stops with a black screen, with the b&w mouse cursor (functionning).
    I think compositing is mandatory.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathanius View Post
    in the /etc/acpi/asus-brn-down.sh I simple put:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

notify-send -i "/usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/actions/down.svg", "Brightness" "down"
    with identical files for brightness up, only with a different key(in the event) and icon and "up" instead of down(in the script).
    But, like last time, if I double click the file or execute it, it does what it supposed to, but doesn't work when the key is pressed.
    Any ideas? Thanks so much for all your help so far.
    It's because these keys are not handled by xorg. You can either use the acpi events without xorg binding, try to connect to xorg within your script (I tried it unsuccessfully) or get xorg to recognize the key and use gnome-keybinding-properties to run your job.

After unsuccessfully trying to connect to xorg within a script, I've tried a mixture of using acpi events and gnome keybindings. I used keybindings to show the changing in display orientation while pressing the key. After releasing the key an acpi event was planned to read and change towards the aimed orientation. But my attempts were without success and I had no time to try it further.

This might help you:
    - http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to...l_keys_to_work
    - http://www.howtoforge.de/howto/wie-d...ra-aktivierst/ (german!)

Beans

I found that Intel was not the designer of the GMA 500. It was bought, by Intel, but not designed. They use the "historical" drivers made by the designers. This is why the current driver is "not too good".
    Intel designed the GMA950 and their drivers. Moblin is not supported on the GMA 500, but i think it is on GMA 950.

I'm quite pessimistic about moblin on my T91. (really really sad)

Beans

I've upgraded the jaunty I had in dual boot to karmic. Good News, mutter starts quite well. But, the moblin applications (myZone, ...) are not available. I found a ppa from a "Moblin Hackers team".
    A lot of packages seem to broken.

Beans

I've dropped the idea of getting Moblin working, for now.
    Following the previous how-to, i've installed Karmic NR. It works great but :

* Sometimes the sound stops working.
    * H264 videos are "jerky". Sound/video are not synchronous, and there is a lot of framedrop. But the graphical chipset is supposed to be able to decode it at a hardware level, isn't it ? Re-encoding them with avidemux solve the pb, but it is a bit long.
    * When resuming after hibernate, netbook-launcher crashes, each time.
    * Graphical performances are bad when the screen is rotated. I won't be using it anyway.

I'm thinking of writing a script launched by the "bellow the screen EEPC button". It will detect the position of the mouse, and make a virtual keyboard (like cellwriter) appear at the place where it is not disturbing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mizukusai View Post
    I've dropped the idea of getting Moblin working, for now.
    Following the previous how-to, i've installed Karmic NR. It works great but :

* Sometimes the sound stops working.
    * H264 videos are "jerky". Sound/video are not synchronous, and there is a lot of framedrop. But the graphical chipset is supposed to be able to decode it at a hardware level, isn't it ? Re-encoding them with avidemux solve the pb, but it is a bit long.
    * When resuming after hibernate, netbook-launcher crashes, each time.
    * Graphical performances are bad when the screen is rotated. I won't be using it anyway.

I'm thinking of writing a script launched by the "bellow the screen EEPC button". It will detect the position of the mouse, and make a virtual keyboard (like cellwriter) appear at the place where it is not disturbing.
    The main issues for me were the sound and performance when rotated. Another thing I had problems with was Wifi, at first it was great but then it completely stopped working: randomly stopped and refused to reconnect, also, if turned off an on several times says: "device not ready"
    Thats why I uninstalled Karmic(using jaunty and F11), it's not ready yet... RC comes out today, wonder if it will be any better... otherwise maybe we could all move to Fedora =P(if it behaves any better), the main reason I'm using Ubuntu is because of this forum(and it's Debian based) - there are lots of other people to help out, etc. But I have never had a configuration in which I could not get Xorg to crash after using the touchscreen with Compiz...
    Last edited by Jonathanius; October 22nd, 2009 at 01:39 PM.

Beans

The problems encountered are either :
    * little ones (hibernate issue)
    * not depending on ubuntu (psb driver issue)

I think the sound problem can be easily corrected.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mizukusai View Post
    The problems encountered are either :
    * little ones (hibernate issue)
    * not depending on ubuntu (psb driver issue)

I think the sound problem can be easily corrected.
    You think that it's the fault of the psb driver? It doesn't crash in Windows, so it would be a problem with the Linux one, which was taken originally from 8.04, and made to work with jaunty, karmic and fedora 11... if it is a problem in the closed-source part, then none of our configs will work, no matter what distro or version we use. I really hope that's not the case.
    One of the things it might be is the touchscreen driver, because I've never had a crash when I'm using the trackpad, only with the touchscreen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Anyone try the release candidate? What are the steps to take to make Karmic work on the t91?
    My LAMPP: http://delltuxlamp.no-ip.org
    The Ubuntu install disc I use on my Everex StepNote laptop: http://www.fitzenreiter.de/averatec/index-e.htm
    Get dropbox!

Beans

Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast