Thread: Mac Mini and HDMI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Mac Mini and HDMI

I've got a new 2009 Mac Mini. Is it possible under Unbuntu to push audio out the mini displayport and convert the whole mess to HDMI?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Mac Mini and HDMI

I suspect that you're asking above and beyond just using the dvi-hdmi adapter. I don't think there's a way. You'd essentially need an adapter that mates both your mini-dvi and headphone jack to hdmi, and such an animal doesn't exist.

If you're talking about rerouting sound internally to somehow come out of the mini-dvi port without intefering with video, then it still doesn't look promising. If I'm wrong I'd sure love to know.
    Grand Master Turing once dreamed that he was a machine. When he awoke he exclaimed: "I don't know whether I am Turing dreaming that I am a machine, or a machine dreaming that I am Turing!." -- The Tao Of Programming

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by raronson View Post
    I suspect that you're asking above and beyond just using the dvi-hdmi adapter. I don't think there's a way. You'd essentially need an adapter that mates both your mini-dvi and headphone jack to hdmi, and such an animal doesn't exist.

If you're talking about rerouting sound internally to somehow come out of the mini-dvi port without intefering with video, then it still doesn't look promising. If I'm wrong I'd sure love to know.
    I know there are devices out there that will take the HDMI and TOS and combine them onto one HDMI cable, but that doesn't allow for Lossless audio (DTS HD or True HD) that I am aware of. I've heard they are kind of flakey too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Yeah, HDMI is even flaky to begin with (in my experience). I've pretty much reconciled myself to waiting for a laptop where HDMI-out is a default port.
    Last edited by raronson; August 11th, 2009 at 10:56 PM.
    Grand Master Turing once dreamed that he was a machine. When he awoke he exclaimed: "I don't know whether I am Turing dreaming that I am a machine, or a machine dreaming that I am Turing!." -- The Tao Of Programming