Thread: Recovering encrypted home folder

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Recovering encrypted home folder

I have a huge issue. I recently installed Ubuntu. I had a fair bit of space left on my hard drive so I decided to dual boot and install Windows. When I installed windows I accidentally killed my MBR.

Now I can't recover my users home folder because I had encrypted it. I have the passphrase but the tutorials I found online don't seem to be working for me. Does anyone have any guide lines or steps I can follow to either recover my home folder or unencrpty it?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Recovering encrypted home folder

The first thing you should try is restoring Grub:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Pop in a Live CD and follow one of the hundreds of GRUB restoring guides out there. Basically something like:

Code:
    grub
    root (hdx,x)
    setup (hdy)
    x being the partition you have Ubuntu on and y being the drive you boot from. You can find that out using:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Note that hd0,0 = the first hard drive, the first partition. So often sda1. GRUB counts from 0, fdisk will count from 1.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ya I should have done something like that first but instead I just wipped the partitions and reinstalled Ubuntu, with the exception of my /home partition...