Thread: New Linux User

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

New Linux User

My wife has just converted to Linux from Windows Vista and Windows 7.

She has always loved the graphical customization that Linux (Gnome or KDE) gives. She used Mandrake back when it was in version 7 and liked it but the lack of software that she liked pretty well killed her interest.

She's a big Photoshop user, even has a legitimate copy. I have told her many times that Gimp does anything Photoshop can do. She was unimpressed until I showed her layers and levels and all the Photoshop tools on Gimp. It did not buy her over until I told her to look at my laptop screen and she saw Photoshop running on Linux in Wine.

She's sold. Her Quad Core workstation is now Ubuntu Jaunty. I'm supposed to teach her how to do themes on Gnome when she gets back from Columbus where her grandfather is in the hospital doing a knee replacement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: New Linux User

\o/

Always great to get someone using Ubuntu. She might have a little trouble using GIMP when it comes to CMYK, but other than that I completely agree.

Beans
    Distro

I am not sure what you mean since I'm graphically retarded. I know CMYK is a color profile but I don't know what you mean when you say she may have trouble with it.

No matter, though. WINE allows Photoshop CS2 to run flawlessly so she'll always have that to fall back on. She digs Gimp but there's less tutorials out there for it, so I am almost sure she'll default to PS CS2.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

GIMP currently only supports RGB color profiles -- meaning you can only work with images designed for digital display. You can print RGB images, but they won't look as exactly as they do on screen. When you use CMYK, you're using the color profile designed for print, so colors come out more vibrant on paper. I personally have never used CMYK as I don't do much printing, but there are some photo people out there who need it.

Beans
    Distro

Get this... she's been using Ubuntu for less than a week and she's already figured out how to get a Lexmark X2500 scanner/printer to work by modifying the ID on a driver config file for a Lexmark X2600.

Both printer and scanner works fine!

Beans
    Distro

She took the big leap earlier today and got rid of Win7 and wubi altogether and is now running a sole Linux system. She's got a separate /home partition with ext4 as the filesystem on it and her computer just screams speed.

We thought it was fast under wubi, but now that it's native, it is just blistering fast. Best 70 bucks I ever spent for her machine.