Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding network printer?

Beans

Adding network printer?

I am using 9.04 on a new PC from Zareason.

The whole add printer interface looks different System > Administration > PRinting > Server > New > Printer , the only printer found is the USB attached photosmart. I have two other HP (LaserJet 4L and All In ONe 6110 Office Jet) connected via print servers with assigned IP addresses. I Can ping the LAserJet addy, and it works with over the network with my other Ubuntu 9.04 machine (used IP address to add a few months ago but forgot exactly how, in any event the new interface looks different).

So I know it works, how do I get it to work with this new PC?

Beans

Re: Adding network printer?

I find it easy to use the web interface though its not for everyone

in the address bar put the address of the computer followed by :631

ex:
    192.168.1.2:631

hope that helps gl

Beans

:631?

I will try it when I get home. The computer IP address preceding the :631 is the print server? I am not using a PC for this function. I have a Netgear print server and a Dlink print server with assigned IP addresses.

Beans

humm im not sure then it depends what protocol they are using which might just be the source of your problem which unfortunately is beyond my scope. What i do know is that *unix uses a protocal called CUPS developed by apple and anything that runs CUPS *should* have a web interface at port 631 this could be different for you or they could not be using cups thats something you should look into.
    good luck

Beans

Look I know people on here have done this. I want to add a network printer using dedicated hand-szed print servers with assigned IP addresses. Apaprently, Ubuntu has changed the printing interface as I describe above. How do I add the printer?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ForMar View Post
    I find it easy to use the web interface though its not for everyone

in the address bar put the address of the computer followed by :631

ex:
    192.168.1.2:631

hope that helps gl
    This did not work, web page came back as though I were offline yet I can ping the print server IP just fine.

Beans

Type or click http://localhost:631 in the address bar of your browser.
    This will bring you to the local cups page if cups is installed.

You will find printer settings there for printer server.
    Last edited by Cope57; August 11th, 2009 at 10:36 PM.
    ( o< -Computers do not have problems, they have users. ~ Cope57
    / /\
    V_/_

Beans

Cope 57

Making some progress but says printer is busy. What should be my device URL with sassigned IP to print server? The attached printer is HP LAserJet 4L.

By the way, what si the "localhost" I am connecting too? My laptop? another PC on LAN? Print server?

Beans

OK success acessing HP LaserJet via DLink print serve doing the following from another thread:

*** the localhost:631 option worked perfectly when installing my networked HP Photosmart P1000 printer using a DLink DP-311U print server. For those of you new to Linux (as I am!), here's how:

* Open your web browser and type in "http://localhost:631" into your address box.
    * Click on the "Add Printer" button.
    * On the "Add New Printer" page, enter the following information:
    - Name: <name for your printer, BUT DON'T USE ANY SPACES! For example, mine is simply "HP1000">
    - Location: Doesn't matter. Leave blank, if you want. Or enter the location of Jimmy Hoffa's body, for that matter. Yer choice.
    - Description: Doesn't matter. I entered the full name of my printer, which is "Photosmart P1000".
    * Click "Continue"
    * You should now see a box marked "Device". It's a drop-down menu. Since I'm using a DLink print server, I chose "LPD/LPR Host or Printer". You may have a different device.
    * Click "Continue"
    * You should see a box named "Device URI". Again, if you're using a DLink 311U (as I am), type in "socket://<DLink IP address>. For example, the IP address of my DLink is 192.168.100.55. So, I typed in "socket://192.168.100.55".
    * Click "Continue"
    * You now need to enter the manufacturer of your printer. I scrolled down and selected "HP".
    * Click "Continue"
    * Yet another page that might trip you up. You need to select the particular model of your printer. The problem is that there are several models of "HP Photosmart P1000" listed. I selected the "HP Photosmart P1000 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended) (en)". There seems to be one that is "recommended" for each model. I suggest going with that for the first try. If it doesn't work, you will have to try others.
    * Click "Add Printer"
    * If everything works, you should see a message such as, "HP1000 successfully added!"

You should see a tab along the top of the page that says, "Printer". Select that, then look for a button "Print Test Page". If you press that button and get a proper print-out, you're set!***

Now the weird part. Doing the samer thing from my new Zareason Ion Breeze I can set up the networked printer but when I hit print tests page the Ion Ubuntu tells me everything printed out fine, no wait, no delay, all is cool. But it isn;t. Nothing printed out. I changed the 4L device and same thing.

Any ideas????????

Beans

bump

Surely people have done this successfully.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast