Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu vs Macpup Opera

Beans
    Hidden!

Exclamation Ubuntu vs Macpup Opera

Ubuntu vs Macpup Opera; thoughts...
    Last edited by HappinessNow; August 15th, 2009 at 03:38 PM.
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu vs Macpup Opera

Quote Originally Posted by 今幸福 View Post
    Ubuntu vs Macpup Opera; thoughts...
    As far as I can tell the two distros have very different purposes.
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Enlightenment e17 is definately gorgeous, and its a quick little OS, just like the original Puppy. I dunno would I change to it as a main OS though, over Ubuntu, but I do keep a copy of Puppy on my flash drive for mobile usage
    Acer Aspire T650, 3GHz PIV 1.4Gb RAM ATi Radeon Xpress 200
    320+80GB SATA Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic x86_64 Windows XP Home SP3

Linux Expresso - Now featuring videos of my systems!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu is our main OS but we keep an old PC because of an accounting program that seems only able to run on Win98. That PC can handle Ubuntu but Puppy, especially the smaller compilations, go much faster.

Macpup Opera61 is the current choice but BrowserPup is also handy. Crunchbang goes really well and blends in better with the other household network computers running Ubuntu.

I think that 'speed' might be the only real reason why I would look at another OS. These puppies run in RAM so they do have an edge!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Puppy is a freakin awesome distro, but it has two issues that stop me using it full time. Firstly, you always run as root. There are andless debates on the forum as to whether this is a bad thing or not. I've never had a problem with it myself, but it just feels.... wrong?

Secondly the package management system is nowhere near as good as Ubuntu's. There is much less in the repositories, and the package manager is a bit of a pain. Sure it is easy to create your own packages from slackware, but who has the time.

I've tried Macpup Opera, but just can't develop a love for enlightgenment. I use Boxpup which it think has an excellent desktop environment. Oh, and I always replace Opera with Seamonkey, a much better choice I feel.

I always have a Puppy USB stick on my keyring nowdays. It's come in handy a few times now.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli Bob View Post

I always have a Puppy USB stick on my keyring nowdays. It's come in handy a few times now.
    I have to install Macpup Opera on my flash drive to keep it handy.

Beans

ubuntu and puppy serve very different purposes so comparing them makes little sense

however, when comparing it to other puppy distros i have a few comments.

i absolutely love opera, that is something i would not change.

however when it comes to e17, i like it ok and it looks promising, but i prefer Xfce. back when i used to use puppy every day i mostly used flexxxpup it also has wine, which i needed for a few programs that my school required. i had to change a few of the settings to my liking but that wasn't much of an issue (just start up noises and the rainbow background)

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNosh View Post
    ubuntu and puppy serve very different purposes so comparing them makes little sense

however, when comparing it to other puppy distros i have a few comments.

i absolutely love opera, that is something i would not change.

however when it comes to e17, i like it ok and it looks promising, but i prefer Xfce. back when i used to use puppy every day i mostly used flexxxpup it also has wine, which i needed for a few programs that my school required. i had to change a few of the settings to my liking but that wasn't much of an issue (just start up noises and the rainbow background)
    I like both Opera and the environment that Macpup Opera uses, quite awesome combination...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've been wanting to check out Macpup Opera. I wiped one of my old computers and put puppy 4.2.1 on it and instantly became a puppy fan. Would I switch from Ubuntu for my main os, nah but now that I have one pup machine, I'll definitely have another. Looks like Macpup Opera is next.

mystmaiden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Re: Ubuntu vs Macpup Opera

Quote Originally Posted by Plumtreed View Post
    ...but BrowserPup is also handy....
    Which is faster as a web browsing ONLY distribution(to be installed on a 7200 RPM HDD):

Browser Pup(BrowserLinux) 69MB ISO:
    http://www.browserlinux.com/#UNetbootin

OR

Damn Small Linux 50 MB ISO:
    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast