Thread: Start up & Processing is Slow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Start up & Processing is Slow

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope (dual-boot with Vista), these days the processing/performance (esp., Firefox 3) and start up in Ubuntu is very slow. I've been installing all the updates available as I don't know which ones to select. But my friend told me that my start up has many applications and also I've installed many applications which aren't necessary. Please help me with this. Thanx.

Beans

Question Re: Start up & Processing is Slow

I don't see why your start up and processing is that slow...mine is quite fast....but I am running Ubuntu Jaunty on my system only...but I have quite a few apps on here so....it might be because of the dual boot w/ Vista....can you give me a time frame of how long it takes to finish booting and or just opening Firefox?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Start up & Processing is Slow

Thnks for ur reply. I don't think it's because of Dual-boot. Because I'm running Ubuntu for quite a few months. Also I've upgraded to 9.04 just after it's release. But these days I've got many updates more than 50MB and installed all of them. Every time I get updates, I'll install them all. I'm pretty sure that my start-up has become slow, may be 4 to 5 seconds than earlier. Is there any way that I can select my start up objects. Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Has vista got any slower?

Try Applications -> Preferences -> Startup Applications

I'm running UNR so that could be inaccurate.

Hope it helps,
    ~Callum

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

If you upgraded your version, it's wise to profile your boot. When in grub (the bootmenu), press e to edit, e again on the second line (the one beginning with kernel) Then add profile to the end of the line (preceded with a space). First boot will take longer, next boot normally will be faster.
    Think for yourself. Don't let others do the thinking for you.
    guide to switch to ossv4 - same guide on this forum - comprehensive multimedia guide - optimizing firefox

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for all your replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by martinbaselier View Post
    If you upgraded your version, it's wise to profile your boot. When in grub (the bootmenu), press e to edit, e again on the second line (the one beginning with kernel) Then add profile to the end of the line (preceded with a space). First boot will take longer, next boot normally will be faster.
    Adding profile: I gave a space and typed my username. Did I correctly "profile my Boot"?
    I am looking for something which cleans up my system like registry cleaner in windows. Thanx again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No, you had to add a keyword "profile" at the end of the line starting with word "kernel". And reboot twice. You should do it every time you change your kernel. Diffrence is very big on multicore CPU.
    If you have installed many apps, especially system-level, you boot will become longer for 5 seconds. It is absolutely normal. Calm yourself - if you install as much applications on Vista it will boot 5 minutes longer.

Beans
    Distro

@Barafu Albino - I've added my username there. Will it do anything wrong? And you say reboot twice, should I type "Profile" for each of two reboots or only first? Thnk you very much.