View Poll Results: What has been your experience with Automatix?

Voters
426. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've used it and have had no problems with it. It's great!

222 52.11%
  • I've used it and have run into problems, but I'm not sure if they're Automatix-related.

31 7.28%
  • I've used it, run into Automatix-related problems, and let Arnieboy know.

7 1.64%
  • I've used it, run into Automatix-related problems, but I haven't let Arnieboy know.

31 7.28%
  • I haven't used it because I think it's unsafe.

39 9.15%
  • I haven't used it because I prefer to install things manually or use another method.

78 18.31%
  • I haven't used it because I have no idea what it is.

4 0.94%
  • Other. (Please explain)

14 3.29%
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What has been your Automatix experience?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What has been your Automatix experience?

Quote Originally Posted by mstlyevil
    No one was justifying his attacks. I said he got too emtional and took things too far. I am also saying I have witnessed Arnie being personally attacked for creating Automatix. Both sides are wrong when it comes to personal attacks. Arnie could stand to learn to take criticism a little better even if he disagrees. This does not change the fact that he created a great program that has helped many newbies and people who are just too busy to configure everything for themselves. Much of the criticism that has been lodge towards Automatix was not valid. There have been some instances where the criticism was valid but much of the time it was meant to attack Automatix without no real input on how to make it better.
    Gotcha...I read too much into your post.
    If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.
    ~Sirius Black, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Here it works just fine, I like it. At my work I was cut off from the internet after installing it, though I have to tell that I'm intended to blame the pppoe stuff in Ubuntu and the crappy ISP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Very good program! No problems what so over, cuts of installing needed programs manually.
    "The greatest purveyor of violence in the world today is my own government, for the sake of the hundreds of thousands trembling under our violence... I cannot remain silent." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Great program, just started using it a few days ago. ROCK ON DUDE!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I think it is fantastic that someone took their own time to make something so useful for so many people. It has been a time saver for new install after I messed a couple of times with learning and tweaking (grin). I have learned how to install manually, and believe it or not some from watching the script run in Automatix.
    I know personal criticism can be very hard to take, expecially when you are doing something basically gratis, here you go, hope you like it. I know for a fact that I have hosed my install more on my own than this program could have ever done.
    Let's try to work together here, like we do for the most part. I really enjoy this forum and the people who hang out here. I learn something everyday even if I wasn't looking for it.
    No need to bash anyone...we are all learning from and teaching each other.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I use Automatix and see no reason stop doing so.
    I tried to follow the "forced flag" issue and as far as i understood correctly it ended up talking about 0.001% and not beeing ABSOLUTELY sure.
    I read both other threads also and was not impressed by some peoples behaviour.
    No reason at all to stop using the prog.
    Learning the command line is the "ultimate" Linux experience and Automatix doesnt stop me from doing that it actualy encourage me to bash the Terminal some more knowing it will be there when i scrw up things(agian).
    Before posting i was watching A Chicogo oldies DVD on a complete Automatix setup box.
    Cristal clear vision perfect sound. (25or6to4)
    I would like to see Automatix in Dapper if it doesnt i dont think i am going to make the switch.
    And that might just be the reason the Author is under such havely attack.
    I whis you all the best Arnieboy !
    Once you're over the hill
    you're gonna pick up speed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I voted "other" because I've used it in the past, but I didn't inhale.

No, that's not right. I've used it before and it worked as advertised without hosing my system. Thanks for that, Arnie. But I will not use it again until its bugs and potential problems are worked out. Until then, I will recommend against using it to anyone who asks.

Arnie's got to stop punching the teachers who don't give him an "A+" and learn to accept a "B, room for improvement." Meeting valid criticisms with name-calling rather than bug fixes is no better than Microsoft saying "Problem? We don't have a problem."

edit: I'd also like to point out that the "I've run into Automatix-related problems" choices do not total 0%, as Arnie insists they must.

Obviously, some of the voters are lying in order to attack and discredit him. /sarcasm
    Last edited by Galoot; January 30th, 2006 at 11:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

love it and will use it again. saved me work what i could not do
    our greatest fear, is that we are powerfull beond measure

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thumbs up Re: What has been your Automatix experience?

I find Automatix to be an efficient installer of most current and popular programs. Arnie is to be commended for his efforts. Thank you Arnieboy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Looks to be a great script. I'll certainly recommend it to new users.

I haven't used it myself since my box has been set up to my liking since early Hoary. Don't understand what all the fuss and animosity is about though....and don't care, except it is a terrible waste of these forums.

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast