View Poll Results: What has been your experience with Automatix?

Voters
426. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've used it and have had no problems with it. It's great!

222 52.11%
  • I've used it and have run into problems, but I'm not sure if they're Automatix-related.

31 7.28%
  • I've used it, run into Automatix-related problems, and let Arnieboy know.

7 1.64%
  • I've used it, run into Automatix-related problems, but I haven't let Arnieboy know.

31 7.28%
  • I haven't used it because I think it's unsafe.

39 9.15%
  • I haven't used it because I prefer to install things manually or use another method.

78 18.31%
  • I haven't used it because I have no idea what it is.

4 0.94%
  • Other. (Please explain)

14 3.29%
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: What has been your Automatix experience?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What has been your Automatix experience?

Quote Originally Posted by richbarna View Post
    1. How many is numerous ?
    The previous poll doesn't show "numerous". Maybe it's just the systems "you" touched that broke.
    2. How do you know it was Automatix that caused those problems ?
    You're a dev, I'm an experienced Linux user, don't hold back, be specific.
    3. Ubuntu developers have broken 100,000's of systems with a borked Xorg update.
    So, with your line of thinking don't trust Ubuntu; repos,devs and apps ?
    4. Ubuntu has broken itself without Automatix
    Would you go to the beginners section, continually posting a warning that Ubuntu could break itself? or To stay away from linux because it breaks, even when sticking to official repos and using apps by Ubuntu devs ?

I really want to see your response, because as a Linux user, there is nothing worse than devs and apps being attacked constantly without a shred of evidence to back up the complaints.
    1. Too many. see #ubuntu support channel, around upgrade time.

2. The dependancies. Versions of things that have never been in ubuntu, and the automatix stuff that shows up in the crash logs.

3. Yes, i think we all trust upstream xorg patches less now - we've now got a stable release updates process to stop this. On the subject of nvidia breakage, nvidia always needs a rebuild with an api bump of the kernel, caused by a security update, etc. So does l-r-m. We cant rebuild nvidia modules for you.

4. The developers are working on the development release, not in the beginners forum, so the question is moot.

Cant really be bothered fighting - we've got more important things to do - like bugfix, and test cds. At least that will come to something productive.
    Hobbsee

Ubuntu Developer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No issues with Automatix so far. It`s a great piece of software.
    Ubuntu user since 11/25/05.
    Switched completely August '06. Then started dual-booting again after a solid 4 years.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've used it since Breezy without an issue...some fine software there...Arnieboy and crew have done a fine job with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbsee View Post
    1. Too many. see #ubuntu support channel, around upgrade time.

2. The dependancies. Versions of things that have never been in ubuntu, and the automatix stuff that shows up in the crash logs.

3. Yes, i think we all trust upstream xorg patches less now - we've now got a stable release updates process to stop this. On the subject of nvidia breakage, nvidia always needs a rebuild with an api bump of the kernel, caused by a security update, etc. So does l-r-m. We cant rebuild nvidia modules for you.

4. The developers are working on the development release, not in the beginners forum, so the question is moot.

Cant really be bothered fighting - we've got more important things to do - like bugfix, and test cds. At least that will come to something productive.
    1. Aggree. Totally aggree.

2. Such is the nature of 3rd party software installing stuff on your system. If you trust unofficial channels to install software on your system you are likely to break your system as much or more than official ones. The proper installation mediums for nvidia cards are an example of this. Automatix, Envy, and Easyubuntu borked nvidia driver installs because they followed the improper installation path. Official Sources of documentation steer you in the proper direction to get around this fact.

3. We learn from our experiences. Again, I cite the use of Official resources to correctly fix such relate issues.

4. Automatix seeminlgy to me , and I might be wrong, doesnt give anything back to the community. It would seem to me , support of the developers would be most prudent. Filing Bug reports, and following up on disucssions via Launchpad , IRC, or other such medium. Has Arnieboy ever filed a bug report? LaunchPad profile -- https://launchpad.net/~greyrod. I only see two one for a jre1.4 install and another for ClamAV. Neither of those seem to be related to installations that Automatix is specifically geared towards. It would seem more prudent to me to file a bug report or opinion status saying - Users cant configure Beryl easily. Users Cannot install mp3 playback. Users cannot to A, B, C, D or E.

Fighting is useless. Ringing the Division Bell for sake of ourselves is even more useless. Work together, not apart.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have not read all the post's in this thread and am just stating my experience with Automatix.
    I used it a while back in dapper I believe and was completely thrilled about it. I decided not to use it after noticing that my partitions that I used it on never successfully upgraded to newer releases.
    I still think it great for newbies who have trouble using search, yes I agree that some search's do not alway's solve hardware issues.

So I guess I will stay on the fence and say good for newbies with emphasis (spelling) on encouraging them to learn to use synaptic/adept/apt.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I have chosen the other option due to:

- I never used Automatix untill today. Tomorrow I'll start a fresh install to change from dapper to feist and I'll try to use Automatix 2.

I read this thread and found more people that loves automatix than people that hates it... It needs to be good to have a lot of fans like that.

cyah guys...
    My worst day using linux is ten thousand times better than your best day using windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I never used automatix. I did all what I needed without it (installing codecs, java, flash etc)
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I did use it at the beginning just for a bit but it feels much better to be in control and use the terminal and repos... not to mention, automatix can be down... the repos all going down might signal the appocalypse . Props to arnie for making a great program though, I send any new people who have trouble with the terminal to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Other. (Please explain)
    I've used it and have had no problems with it.
    Automatix made the os more usable fast.
    Automatix made me hopeful Linux would workout.
    Automatix bought time for Linux for me to figure things out for myself.
    After trying to upgrade Firefox and install Java about ten times and failing I tried Automatix.
    If Automatix had failed I would have wiped the drive and it might have been a long before I installed and tried to use another Linux system.

It is a very sad thing that the ubuntuforums.org has one group that understands the above comments and another group that does not.

Where is the middle ground for the hopeful new Ubuntu user?

Beans

Red face Re: What has been your Automatix experience?

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    In light of these two threads...
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=689138
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=120693

... I'm just curious what people's actual experiences with Automatix have been.
    This is a rather out dated poll it is almost like it should be closed and a new poll started.

When there are polls specifically that have to do with software things can change so quickly they should have a expiration date on the poll to make them relevant.

Changes can happen especially when in comes to stability, thus making the resulting poll misleading.

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast