View Poll Results: What has been your experience with Automatix?

Voters
426. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've used it and have had no problems with it. It's great!

222 52.11%
  • I've used it and have run into problems, but I'm not sure if they're Automatix-related.

31 7.28%
  • I've used it, run into Automatix-related problems, and let Arnieboy know.

7 1.64%
  • I've used it, run into Automatix-related problems, but I haven't let Arnieboy know.

31 7.28%
  • I haven't used it because I think it's unsafe.

39 9.15%
  • I haven't used it because I prefer to install things manually or use another method.

78 18.31%
  • I haven't used it because I have no idea what it is.

4 0.94%
  • Other. (Please explain)

14 3.29%
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What has been your Automatix experience?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: What has been your Automatix experience?

h3xx3r Guest

I used it once in its early days, ( Hated the way you had ZERO control over its actions)
    Never used it since. ( Mainly because I prefer to do things manually, If I wanted everything automated I'd use windows.)
    I don't know whether its dangerous or not, I just don't use it.
    I
    Fair enough if a new user wants to use it, Then its up to them, But what happens when " one part" of their install fails ? , Because they've let automatix do its thing for them , They have no knowledge of being able to do it themselves, So they're always going to be dependant on it. ( Certainly not the Linux spirit I've been used to all these years.)
    I'm not going to say Its dangerous ,As I don't know enough about it, But the issues raised in the discussions certainly leave me unsure,

and the way its creator has ranted on the last couple of days leaves me even more confused.
    My vote was therefore. I prefer to do things for my self. !! ( In the spirit of Linux.)

Beans
    Hidden!

its been good to me, only used it once though. however, i dont plan to recommend it to anyone due to arnieboys posts and attitude in those threads, and im not sure if i will be using it in the future myself. i read the one thread yesterday and had enough.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Mainly because I prefer to do things manually, If I wanted everything automated I'd use windows.
    If you wanted things manual youd use apt

Since when is windows manual?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

id have been lost without it

Beans

No problems here, it was my favorite program when I first installed Ubuntu.

h3xx3r Guest

Quote Originally Posted by xequence
    If you wanted things manual youd use apt

Since when is windows manual?
    OMG I said if I wanted it automated i'd use windows. I didn't say windows was manual lmao.
    & I do use apt .

Beans

I have set up Ubuntu both ways. I do recommend everyone try to set Ubuntu up manually at least once to learn a little more about how it works. But for those who do not have the time or paitience, Automatix is great. I used it on my last install and it saved me a lot of time and effort.

I can understand Arnieboys anger and frustation that he displayed in that thread. He took the comments by others too personal and said things he should have thought about first. I would be angry too if I created something to help others and was attacked from all sides for it. For those who thought Arnie was too rude you do not know the attacks that have been lodged at him in the recent past. There are always two sides to every story.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I've never used it but it seems to have helped out a lot of people. It's a shame the author has to behave in such an unpleasant manner on the forums. The "attacks" on him on the past from what I've seen were either constructive and justified criticisms/queries or brought on himself by his attitude
    Last edited by Malphas; January 30th, 2006 at 08:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mstlyevil
    I can understand Arnieboys anger and frustation that he displayed in that thread. He took the comments by others too personal and said things he should have thought about first. I would be angry too if I created something to help others and was attacked from all sides for it. For those who thought Arnie was too rude you do not know the attacks that have been lodged at him in the recent past. There are always two sides to every story.
    Even if that were the case, to justify someone firing attack after attack at several users by saying those users attacked first is not right. I thought the rule is no personal attacks, not no personal attacks unless you are attacked first (then feel free to give 'em hell).
    If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.
    ~Sirius Black, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast