Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get legal Office 2010 to work on Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: How to get legal Office 2010 to work on Ubuntu

office 2007 worked with crossover 7.10 in intrepid and jaunty x86. on karmic amd64 it doesn't work, i don't know why... i tried with both wine and crossover.
    if you can make 2010 work please post your results

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Despite using Crossover 8, it doesn't work Here's what I did:
    Just use the Office 2007 installation method (but choosing the Office 2010 .exe file)
    It will go along its merry way till it reachers the part about installing 2010, where it says it needs MSXML 6.10.1129.0 (at least) to install.

I went and installed that into the SAME (not different) bottle via the "install unsupported software" option.

After doing that, the installation came up, and it was actually doing well, until around 2/3 of the way, when the setup said that it experiened an error during setup.

So Crossover isn't going to work, I'm going to have to try this in every single Wine version up to now after the "stable" release 1.01 (hardly doubt Wine has ever been stable, but they do a pretty damn good job of it considering it is quite hard to get MS stuff to work in Ubuntu or anything that isn't MS in the first place!)

Anyone by any chance got Office 2010 beta to work in Wine?

I'll post some screenshots of what happened later on

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm giving it a go on Wine- get the same MSXML6 error.

Have a look at this:
    http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks

Could be a start.

UPDATE: Using this, I get a new error:
    "Setup cannot continue because a required file is either corrupted or not available. Run Setup again from the original source disc or download location."
    And the specific error was:
    "Error: Xml Signature verification failed for setup metadata Type: 45::InvalidMetadataFile."

It's early progress.

Anyway, to get this far, here's what I did:
    Code:
    wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
    sh winetricks msxml6
    Last edited by JCoster; November 26th, 2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Progress

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

More progress:
    Alt-f2: winecfg
    On the libraries tab, add a new override for library 'msxml6'.
    This gets me to the part where it asks me to enter my product key, but it does not appear to realise when I have entered it.

Beans

Others already tried to run it but it doesn't install: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=17336

However nobody showed the Wine debug output to be able to find the cause, it would be nice to know so developers could fix it for the release!

Could you try to run the installation or the program in terminal and paste the Wine output?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I tried the suggestions above (as well as running the .exe under Windows Vista) using version 1.0.1 of Wine, but it failed. Here's the output from the terminal in a .odt file (strange, I thought a gedit file would upload, but it didnt. Oh well, no harm done )

Quite a bit, but I'm not quite sure how to put this all into a bug report for the wine devs. I'll try this again under Wine 1.1.31 (my internet's been throttled, so I can only download stuff off netspace' servers, and that's the version in the repos ) When my internet comes back on Friday, I'll start this whole thing from version 1.1.16 (apparently the 1st version to let Office 2007 install) so we'll see how this goes...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I tried Wine and Crossover. To be sure if the whole thing is working I installed the 2010beta on a Windows 7 Sony I have. It gives me the sense that while is asking for the key, is executing a script or something else, just to know if the key is acceptable. This is the moment that Wine or Crossover is getting to nowhere.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think when it comes out in retail, Crossover etc will work to get it functional, if they aren't already. They'll probably use it as an excuse for a new release number.
    The good thing about Crossover is they put (all?) their code upstream so vanilla Wine benefits as well.

Beans

Any luck with this? I'm [unfortunately] on a uMBP with W7, Ubuntu 9.10, and Snow Leopard. Since it's a Mac, I try to use SL as much as possible. W7 is still my OS of choice.

Would love to get Office 2010 working in CrossOver or [Dar]Wine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I use MSOffice 2010 in my Ubuntu KK 9.10 through virtual box and it's working fine. Only sometimes is pausing a sec for breathing....
    *the only notable difference with MSOffice 2007 is the speed. It's really fast. Faster than OO3.2.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast