Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too many passwords asked... SOLVED

Beans

Cool Too many passwords asked... SOLVED

I had a topic closed about "Annoying, BORING "System Policy" stuff!":

It is the forum policy to support the Ubuntu security implementations. We assume that if you bypass those security implimentations, you do so at your own risk and assume that you have the technical knowledge to overcome any problems that may result in this decision.

Thread closed. Thank you for your participation.
    Very, very bad for an open forum!

I was just asking a way to disable all those dedundant requests, NOT to use the system as root, as the Policy states here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=716201.

So I don't understand the censorship to my post.

I don't want nor need root access to do stuff, I only need to write in my password one time to do that, and to use sudo/suauth stuff.

Well, the PolKit seem to be another thing that keep asking passwords again and again. [SNIP]
    Last edited by aysiu; August 7th, 2009 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Removed instructions for disabling password requests

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Too many passwords asked... SOLVED

I want to thank all the staff and admin of this forum. They are doing the heavy lifting so to speak. I happen to catch the previous thread. I happen to agree with the forum staff's decision to impose some rule here. Besides the community comes first, not one individual.

Beans

Is this a technical forum or what? This is not about rules, it's about how to solve things and tune the distro as users want. And that thread has nothing to do with root as user, or security problems. This is UNIX, not Vista.

Beans

I think a fix for this is to edit /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf adding the username:
    Do you know what the security implications of this are?
    Not the cupcakes!
    Trust me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by asbesto View Post
    Is this a technical forum or what? This is not about rules, it's about how to solve things and tune the distro as users want. And that thread has nothing to do with root as user, or security problems. This is UNIX, not Vista.
    You basically made your account a root account, thus circumventing the ubuntu security model. If an application you are running were compromised so the attacker can execute arbitrary code, they can now easily escalate to root privileges. I agree with their policy for not allowing guides for enabling root. I think maybe giving a few pointers on configuring policykit should be allowed, but I certainly understand their reluctance. It is sort of a gray area as far as their policy is concerned. I personally wouldn't help a user weaken the security of their computer unless they knew what they were doing, but then they probably wouldn't need my help.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Actually this is Linux. Remember GNU's Not Unix.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cdenley View Post
    You basically made your account a root account, thus circumventing the ubuntu security model. If an application you are running were compromised so the attacker can execute arbitrary code, they can now easily escalate to root privileges.
    There are no other users than me on my computer here at my home. No open doors from outside. I agree with you about your security concerns, but this is not the case. And closing discussions is doing "security thru obscurity", that has to be avoided like hell.

And for sure I know what security means, 'cause i'm a VAX/VMS and UNIX sysadmin since 1985

Beans

There are no other users than me on my computer here at my home. No open doors from outside. I agree with you about your security concerns, but this is not the case. And closing discussions is doing "security thru obscurity", that has to be avoided like hell.

And for sure I know what security means, 'cause i'm a VAX/VMS and UNIX sysadmin since 1985
    Are you using the same computer to browse this forum? If so, that can be considered an "open door". Anytime your computer has any interaction with the outside world (the forum you are reading right now), there is potential for an attack. The only way to make remote security a non-issue would be to unplug it from any network entirely. User privilege separation is not "security through obscurity". Also, "security through obscurity" should not be "avoided like hell". You just have to keep in mind it cannot replace taking real security precautions.

Beans

There are no other users than me on my computer here at my home. No open doors from outside. I agree with you about your security concerns, but this is not the case.
    you place a lot of trust in ubuntu. As I'm sure you're aware, the standard method of privilege escalation exists not just to protect you from outside threats but also from bugs in legitimate software that you have installed.

It's your decision to make these changes but don't be surprised if things start to break.

And closing discussions is doing "security thru obscurity", that has to be avoided like hell.
    closing that thread was absolutely not 'security thru obscurity.' Anyone following your advice would have a system that is in a state where it could not be supported by members of this community. Once the default security model has been circumvented, it introduces a raft of potential factors that must be considered by anyone who is trying to help.

The community support thing works because we all have a more-or-less common base to work from. The distribution expects security to work a certain way and, once you change that, the behavior of the distribution can change in ways that can't be predicted by a bunch of random people in cyberspace.

The thread had to be closed because people have to know that it's NOT okay to do this and then come looking for help. Any help given has a greater chance of breaking the system even more.
    Last edited by decoherence; August 7th, 2009 at 03:06 PM.
    Not the cupcakes!
    Trust me.

Beans

<random thought>
    I agree with both sides of the flaming for different reasons...

If asbesto (OP) isn't going to use the computer for networking other than an enclosed LAN, I think his problem shouldn't cause much harm to the Ubuntu community although it may compromise his LAN security...

But on the other hand, I completely see where the forum staff are coming from with the rules, which must be strict in order to keep the forum from falling apart...
    </random thought>
    NotJustANewbie
    ------------------
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the former." - Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast