Thread: New Setup

Beans

New Setup

Hello, guys I have been using Ubuntu for awhile and want to build a new setup around it. I have only a few requirements that it supports at least 6 monitors with no noticeable lag between them, run multiple virtual machines, and maybe some gaming in the VM's.

My current plan is 12Gb ram, i7 processor overclocked, and 3 video cards.

I need your help on how it will actually run, what hardware I should go with when it comes to video cards and motherboard.

Also any opinions or ideas you guys have are welcome.

Before people ask why 6 monitors minimum.
    Web/Chat
    Music
    Design
    Multiple VM's Simulating network
    Penetration Test
    Coding
    Gaming
    Movies
    Cool Factor :-p
    And more I can't think of.

Beans

Re: New Setup

Before people ask why 6 monitors minimum.
    Sorry but I'm still going to ask it. Why would you need six monitors when you can have workspace switching (aka virtual desktops)?

Here is a video of it in action:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ntu+cube&hl=en

It's cheaper then buying six monitors, but maybe it's not your style.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You'll need an Nvidia graphics card as I don't think ATI's support three simultaneous graphics cards on Linux.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by weirdtalk View Post
    Sorry but I'm still going to ask it. Why would you need six monitors when you can have workspace switching (aka virtual desktops)?

Here is a video of it in action:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ntu+cube&hl=en

It's cheaper then buying six monitors, but maybe it's not your style.
    I currently do a lot of work with virtual desktops but I've found even when using only 2 or 3 monitors I am much faster than with virtual desktops, it also becomes much easier to see things side by side for comparison and testing.

About nVidia cards that's what I was expecting ATI just recently released new OpenGL so I dought they support three way crossfire x on linux.