Thread: 5 Tips for Raising your Girl Geek

5 Tips for Raising your Girl Geek

Here's an article on Wired by Natania Barron:

5 Tips for Raising your Girl Geek

As geek parents, we often have rosy colored notions about our children growing up. We actually want them to be geeks. From the earliest of ages we dress them in WoW gear, teach them to quote Star Wars and wonder when is too early to start reading The Hobbit. We nurture them in the way of the Geek, hoping that, when the time comes for them to choose their path, they won’t stray far.

But being a geek kid isn’t easy; and being a geek girl might even be harder. Here are some things to keep in mind if you are raising a geek girl that might help her–and you–get through the school years.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: 5 Tips for Raising your Girl Geek

A lot of that sounds just like my middle daughter "Kelly"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Geeks are self-made. You can't make a geek out of somebody
    Microsoft's crimes - Ubuntu CE - Windows 7 sins

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOtaku View Post
    No no, I won't indulge your superiority complex... But if you'd like to tell me something you're passionate about, I'd love the chance to belittle it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Geeks are self-made. You can't make a geek out of somebody
    Maybe so, but there is a great pool of undiscovered feminine geekiness out there. I didn't know how much fun being a geek could be until I stumbled across Linux from a very clever (and very cute) boy who found the untapped geekiness in me!

Amy
    Dance Class: No Place for Wimps!
    Non-Geeky Girls Love Linux Too!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I have a 14 year old geek daughter who does indeed listen to They Might Be Giants, and is looking forward to attending the 2009 Ohio Linux Fest.
    Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!
    Adventures In Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Watts View Post
    I have a 14 year old geek daughter who does indeed listen to They Might Be Giants, and is looking forward to attending the 2009 Ohio Linux Fest.
    Awesome! Registered for Sunday's "Diversity in Open Source" workshop too? Please, please, please if there is ANY problem with people violating the "family-friendly environment" rule, tell one of the organizers and we'll deal with it.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net