Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arkansas Team LoCo -- call for active members

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Arkansas Team LoCo -- call for active members

I was just reading an article on the Fridge that said a couple of Prentice Hall Ubuntu books are available to each LoCo team. I don't know whether it even makes sense to have a physical book sent anywhere in Arkansas (unless maybe it gets stored at a public library somewhere) but it made me wonder what needs to happen to get some more LoCo activity going.

There are a couple of folks listed as Arkansas LoCo Team administrators on Launchpad but only one listed as a contact on the LoCo Team List wiki. The person listed on the wiki is the one eligible to receive a book on behalf of the team, if one were requested.

At this moment neither has been very active on the forums or launchpad. Are they on IRC? (I'm not, generally.) If the team needs some new administrators (because you are unable to serve in that way), please let us know by posting here. If you don't want your status publicized, contact me via private message on this forum.

I will volunteer to help by being an administrator. I won't necessarily be able to respond immediately to requests. But I'm here, and I can devote a small amount of time. I would also like to see an active co-administrator, too, because I obviously can't guarantee I will be reachable in perpetuity.

If folks want to request a book on behalf of the group, let's try to do it. Maybe we could have it "stored" in some public place... I'm in Conway so two ideas are near me -- the Faulkner County Library, or Somethin' Brewing Cafe (if we can't leave it on a shelf, in the BookCrossing box, maybe). If a book is readily available somewhere and includes contact info for the Arkansas Team LoCo attached to the cover it could be a marketing tool for the group.

P.S.: I know Tony and others have put a lot of effort into keeping CARLUG and other groups going. I certainly don't want to undermine that, and in fact maybe the LoCo team is mostly CARLUG / ARLUG regulars. However, I suspect many folks joining the Arkansas LoCo are not aware of the other local groups.

Beans

Re: Arkansas Team LoCo -- call for active members

Hey, I'm one of the two people listed as an admin on the launchpad;
    Spencervaughan/freeflyer57 set me on it when he moved to germany, and I didn't know about the LoCo wiki. At that time there was little to no activity here and I haven't really been paying attention to it. I only now got an email about this post and it was the first reminder of this i'd seen in months...

I will probably set you as an administrator and try and be more active here. I'm in the Rogers/Bentonville area myself. I would be quite happy to see any AR LUG activity start up and am more than willing to help organize such. Sorry I let this team slip my mind for so long!

Beans

I was onboard will all of this sometime ago, but there seemed to be no life, so I kinda quit monitoring the activity. Is someone taking off with the group again?

Beans

Hey, gang, just joined, been using Ubuntu as my primary desktop since Feisty Fawn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Greetings!

rmullins -- sorry I missed your message -- we have the LoCo but yes the activity is usually pretty low. This forum has been VERY quiet... It makes sense, though. For "how do I...?" sorts of questions the general forums are probably the best way to get a response.

What sorts of things do folks want? And if you want face-to-face meetings, what location works for you? What time of the day/week/month?

We are continuing to have regular LUG meetings in Conway, Hot Springs and probably a few other places. I'm in Conway and just a few blocks from the Library where we meet, so that's easiest for me. (Yet I miss a lot of them anyway.) :-<

There are some folks who are always on our channel on irc, so that's a great way to "meet" fellow Arkansans too.

Beans

With Karmic about to come out at the end of the month, this might be a good time to do something outside of the Forums and IRC, a release party or something. Maybe a Intro to Desktop Linux (Ubuntu) class. This may help get more people active on both the forums and IRC as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Greetings!
    What sorts of things do folks want? And if you want face-to-face meetings, what location works for you? What time of the day/week/month?
    I live a crazy life. I would likely only be available virtually. Pick a date and I'll see what I can do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi
    I live in Fayetteville and would like to know if there are other Ubuntu users who would like to meet and get something started in Northwest Arkansas. I want to get an Open Source collective(http://ozarksopensource.com) started to spread the word and educate the public about Open Source, particularly Ubuntu. Setting up classes or individual installation for new Ubuntu users is high on my list of what I want to do.

I have been running Ubuntu since Fall of 2005 so have seen it really grow up and become a wicked cool OS.

pm me if you want to connect.
    Randl
    Linux user #425510 - Ubuntu user #9190

Beans

randlieb, have you checked out FreeGeek Arkansas http://freegeekarkansas.org/ ? (The website's down at the moment. They are located in Fayetteville. I've also heard there is a group that meets up there as well, but I don't have much details.
    Also join the irc channel. It's quiet most of the time, but if someone says something it becomes alive.

Edit: I must have been Brain Dead yesterday. It's NWALUG http://www.nwalug.org . But Seeing your post on the Mailing list, I guess you found it.
    Last edited by kwadroke; October 21st, 2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Fixing a brain dead mistake

Beans

i think we need to have a release party or something to celebrate 9.10's release. this release looks like it will be a good release. I can help in any way that is needed. just email me lancechowell@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast